Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 8710
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

If I print more than one copy of a document, the number of pages to print stays at that number until I actively reset it at the next print. I end up printing costs of unnecessary copies. How can I:

1. Get the number of copies to default to 1, or

2. Reset the number of copies to 1 without actually printing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JanetValerie,

I'd like to help!

Try the below steps -

Find and change printing settings, such as selecting paper type and size, printing in color or black and white, and improving quality.

NOTE: 

Available print settings and menu locations vary by printer model, driver type, and the app you are printing from. HP recommends using Apple AirPrint to set up and use your printer. Go to Printing with Apple AirPrint (macOS and OS X) for more information.

1. Open a document, photo, or webpage, click File, and then click Print to open the print dialog.

2. If a Show Details button displays at the bottom of the dialog, click it to reveal all available menu options. The button changes to Hide Details when clicked.

Print dialog in macOS

3. Select your printer in the Printer menu.

4. Select an option in the Presets menu that applies to your print job or paper type.

5. Click the unnamed print options menu at the separator bar to display more settings options.

Unnamed print options pop-up menu

6. Change any print job settings.

• Print in color or black and white: Select or de-select Black & White on the main dialog. The Presets menu also includes color and black and white options.

• Paper type (photo, plain, specialty): Selecting the paper type ensures the printer properly applies the ink to the paper you loaded in the printer. Click Media & Quality, and then click the Paper Type menu.

• Paper size: Select the paper from the Paper Size menu on the main dialog, if present. Or, click Paper Handling, select Scale to fit paper size, and then select the paper in the Destination Paper Size menu.

• Create a custom paper size: Click Manage Custom Sizes in the Paper Size menu, if available. The feature might also be available from the app File menu in Page Setup. Go to Creating Custom Paper Sizes for more information.

• Adjust print quality: Click Media & Quality, and then move the Quality slider to the desired setting.

• Two-sided printing (duplexing): Select Two-Sided on the main dialog, select Layout from the print options menu, and then select a binding option in the Two-Sided menu. Go to Printing on Both Sides of the Paper (Mac) for detailed steps on how to load and flip the paper for your printer type.

• Add or remove a border: Click Layout, and then click the Border menu to select a border width or select None for borderless prints.

• Mirror printing: Reverse an image or document for printing iron-on transfers. Click Layout, and then select the Flip horizontally option.

7. To save your settings for future print jobs, click the Presets menu, and then select Save Current Settings as Preset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @JanetValerie,

I'd like to help!

Try the below steps -

Find and change printing settings, such as selecting paper type and size, printing in color or black and white, and improving quality.

NOTE: 

Available print settings and menu locations vary by printer model, driver type, and the app you are printing from. HP recommends using Apple AirPrint to set up and use your printer. Go to Printing with Apple AirPrint (macOS and OS X) for more information.

1. Open a document, photo, or webpage, click File, and then click Print to open the print dialog.

2. If a Show Details button displays at the bottom of the dialog, click it to reveal all available menu options. The button changes to Hide Details when clicked.

Print dialog in macOS

3. Select your printer in the Printer menu.

4. Select an option in the Presets menu that applies to your print job or paper type.

5. Click the unnamed print options menu at the separator bar to display more settings options.

Unnamed print options pop-up menu

6. Change any print job settings.

• Print in color or black and white: Select or de-select Black & White on the main dialog. The Presets menu also includes color and black and white options.

• Paper type (photo, plain, specialty): Selecting the paper type ensures the printer properly applies the ink to the paper you loaded in the printer. Click Media & Quality, and then click the Paper Type menu.

• Paper size: Select the paper from the Paper Size menu on the main dialog, if present. Or, click Paper Handling, select Scale to fit paper size, and then select the paper in the Destination Paper Size menu.

• Create a custom paper size: Click Manage Custom Sizes in the Paper Size menu, if available. The feature might also be available from the app File menu in Page Setup. Go to Creating Custom Paper Sizes for more information.

• Adjust print quality: Click Media & Quality, and then move the Quality slider to the desired setting.

• Two-sided printing (duplexing): Select Two-Sided on the main dialog, select Layout from the print options menu, and then select a binding option in the Two-Sided menu. Go to Printing on Both Sides of the Paper (Mac) for detailed steps on how to load and flip the paper for your printer type.

• Add or remove a border: Click Layout, and then click the Border menu to select a border width or select None for borderless prints.

• Mirror printing: Reverse an image or document for printing iron-on transfers. Click Layout, and then select the Flip horizontally option.

7. To save your settings for future print jobs, click the Presets menu, and then select Save Current Settings as Preset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I am using AirPrint. I don't get the Show Details box from WORD but I do from Safari. So many thanks - I'll be saving a lot of paper!

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

Does the option show up on other applications?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 16.46.39.png

 This is from EXCEL and is the same as WORD. As you can see there is no Show/Hide details button, but I can reset the options by going to the Presets drop down at the top. The Mac version of Microsoft Office is a bit less functional than on PC, but there is usually a way to do what you want. I have only recently discovered that you can do double sided printing by going via the PDF View option.

HP Recommended

What are the options you receive when you click on the page setup?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

JanetValerie_0-1619002041877.png

Nothing useful on any of the tabs or the options!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.