Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Lasertjet M281
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to downgrade my printer firmware version to the one it came with from the factory. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks, gunterz

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you also been hit by the non-HP toner failure after firmware update ? I tried to downgrade my m254dw, no luck...

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and cannot figure out where to obtain a file with the old firmware.

HP Recommended

Yup, suddenly the supply problem. Did not notice it right away because I usually don't print much. As I don't see any improvement in the printer, the reason for that update must have been to kill those other cartridges. Nasty practices like will definitely make me not getting an HP printer again. Instead of buying a set of original HP cartridges, I will just get another printer - will cost the same.
But yes, I would be very interested in finding the old firmware again - because it's a good printer, otherwise.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as many of you have noted, my M254dw suddenly has a "Supply Problem" with my aftermarket black toner after updating to the 10/21/2020 firmware. Everything has been just fine with this printer for 2 years now. I have HP original color cartridges that are not affected by this. I orderded several aftermarket cartridges from Amazon, and SURPRISE, none of them work. If anyone has a previous firmware for this printer, PLEASE message me. HP has removed all the other prior firmware for all of its sites, including international support sites.

HP Recommended

Oh, and I had a prior message removed from the forums by Moderator RodrigoB, that mentioned how HP had been sued in 2018/2019 for "an allegedly fake error message that would stop consumers from being able to use third party ink cartridges". They settled this class action lawsuit. I hope this one doesn't get removed again, for just mentioning the law suit.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I got an email about that post with the link to the law firm and then was surprised that I could not find that post in the forum any longer. It first looked as if my whole post had been removed. I certainly used that link and told the firm about that - maybe they do some investigating. I mean, you and I might get a free cartridge out of a settlement but those lawyers will make big money - still, if we all can use the printers we bought how we see fit would be a big win.

HP Recommended

DKL5 - I also would be very interested in the older firmware, not sure though how I would be able to install it. 

HP Recommended

Hi DKL5, thank you so much for that hope you gave me in your private message (to which I could not answer)    🙂
HP had that file you referenced already removed but by googling for the file name I found it at a vendor that sells 3rd party toner. It took me a few unsuccessful tries until I realized that the reason for that not working was that my printer is the M281 and they probably run different firmware. But you had sent me on a quest and after hours I finally managed to get my printer working again - I will write a blog post about that and post it on the forum - thank you so much for your help!

Link to the blog post will follow soon for anybody who runs into the same problem....

HP Recommended

Here is that blog post I promised in the hope that it might help somebody:
https://www.merlinsilk.com/hp-disabled-my-printer/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.