Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Any updates?

HP bricked my printer by corrupted firmware 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi, with old firmware same problem.

No solutions from HP.

I mean printer is too old and need to buy new. 😄

HP Recommended

It's pretty crazy that HP thinks publishing a corrupt firmware and then not helping users fix the problem is acceptable behavior, but I guess this is normal for big corporations? It will probably take them weeks to even remove the published corrupt firmware.

I was able to fix the problem with the M130nw by uploading a couple of firmware versions I found in a torrent using the copy /b (firmware file) \\localhost\printershare method to a manually installed USB-Printer with some Microsoft PCL driver (driver was was probably not even important).

copy /b firmware to printer made it work, but it took me a couple of tries with the firmware collection I downloaded until something was actually accepted (Torrent Hash: 

8d5bbd45e4e7b50999b55bd37b326c9e2fc6ac71, you can google this) 

I tried uploading the following files and it mostly didn't work until suddenly it did:

HP_LaserJet_Pro_M130a_M132a_and_Ultra_M134a_Printer_Firmware_20201023.ENG.rfu
HP_LaserJet_Pro_M130a_M132a_and_Ultra_M134a_Printer_Firmware_20201023.ENG.rfu
HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M130_M132_Ultra_MFP_M134_Printer_20201023.rfu
HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M130_M132_Ultra_MFP_M134_Printer_20201023.ENG.rfu

HP_LaserJet_Pro_M130a_M132a_and_Ultra_M134a_Printer_Firmware_Update_Utility_20200605.rfu

I initially thought the last firmware I uploaded had fixed it, but I'm now on firmware 20201023, so I guess it was probably the one second to last.  This is also the one someone shared with the google drive link in the other thread, so this is probably a good one 🙂

It's a bit of a hassle to get it back to work, but really not too bad if you have some basic IT skills. I got this printer very cheaply because the original owner just gave up after the HP hotline refused to help him. Great for me, thank you HP for destroying the former owners printer and allowing me to buy it for only 25€.

Here is a dropbox link to the firmware files I've used above:

dropbox dot com/s/3r9jpegxi94u9nu/HP%20M130%20firmware%20collection.zip?dl=0

HP Recommended

Dear community!

First of all merry x-mas to everyone. 🎅

The solution from Gerald_H worked also for me. By the way all user settings were still in the printer. The firmware version 20211215 is definitely corrupt and will destroy the printer operation system. The printer will not boot any more.

Hopefully HP will remove the firmware from the website. In normal cases software providers will still offer 1 or 2 stable version for this partikular case, when a firmware installation fails.

Max

Do not install this version:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130-series/9365370/s...

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same printer and tried to update to firmware version "20211215".

@Gerald your instructions was very helpful. my printer works now. but i must say, i'm not an IT Expert.

so here are a few additions:

if you have the files called gerald:

(Windows)

1. Go to cmd

2. Go to folder there the files are located

3. Enter the copy command. In my case:

"copy /b HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M130_M132_Ultra_MFP_M134_Printer_20201023.ENG.rfu \\{COMPUTERNAME}\{SHARED PRINTER NAME}"

@HP Thanks for nothing. Remove the bad firmware file "20211215"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.