Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

There is nothing connected to this step.
What are the updates needed to allow me to use whatever ink cartridge I choose. 

HP is forcing me to use "Original / Genuine HP Ink"  by making it very uncomfortable, difficult, and costly in terms of productivity for me to use anything else in my printer other than "Genuine" HP Ink products. 

How can I use something else. Please note that I will be documenting this information for my attorney who is already looking into this. I don't need or request HP to protect me from aftermarket ink companies. Nor do I need you all to make my life difficult and lower my productivity because I choose to use ink other than from HP. If I replace parts on my Subaru, not made from Subaru, I can still trust my car to work in a reliable fashion. I cannot have the same expectation of HP after I spent my hard earned money to buy one of your products. Its a slap in the face. 

HP Recommended

I bought the OfficeJet 7740 only because HP was allowing third party printer cartridges. Soon after my purchase the update prevented use of third party cartridges. I'll hold on to the printer for now to see if HP offers a solution, which I have not found after crawling through these community pages. 

My thought for now is that I can buy a new all in one printer WITH ink cartridges for the SAME price as 952s, although not with the wide print option which I will only use on rare occasions. The other problem is that purchasers of the 952 ink provide nearly uniform feedback on Amazon that the 952 cartridges are not working for them. So, do I risk the $120, or just but a new printer for the same price and never purchase electronics from HP again? 

HP Recommended

Only original cardrige.... Without problem.

Now I've other big problem.

New 4 cardrige original..... Error: Refueling system problem.

I've change printing head and nothing.

Think buy other print NO HP obviously.

I

HP Recommended

the value of hp printers after that firmware update is just waste, just dispose it off so that it can end up in a landfill.

I can't imagine just one good thing which that firmware update has brought. I currently have 3 printers which are now useless. I will tell all the people in my community and warn them not to buy from hp. Just some useless, and a waste of every one's time. Epson is still the best. I'll just have to move back to epson.

Provide a way for us to downgrade..............................................................

HP Recommended

@gabbytruth12, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues with your printer after the firmware upgrade. I'd like to escalate this issue to the concerned team. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I would also like to see the reply to this as I have bought a number of 3rd party ink cartridges that are now useless.

HP Recommended

@Panders1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you're experiencing issues with 3rd party ink cartridges. To provide you with an accurate solution, I'd like to know the exact error message on the printer.

Also, could you brief me on the issue a bit for a better understanding?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I install a 3rd Party cartridge I get the following message

CARTRIDGE ERROR

Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed.

I bought this printer a couple of years ago. When the first set of cartridges ran out I purchased a set of 3rd party cartridges which worked quite well. When that set was running low I purchased another set from the same company. But when I try to install I get this error message. After some research I found that HP updated their firmware which will not allow these cartridges to be installed.

I would like to downgrade the firmware to a version that will allow me to install them.

HP Recommended

@Panders1

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which are refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it is not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, that is not the issue. I'm  sorry but no. I have only an issue with the Cyan Blue ink cartridge. The first set I bought and used up completely last summer until now was produced by Kong. I had no issues and therefore bought the same a second time. The cartridges all showed up as usable EXCEPT the Cyan blue, which states the cartridge is empty. By shaking it I can tell that it is not.  So I thought to try out another order and bought from Gohepi. All the cartridges work fine and show up as full except the Cyan blue again. So, I tried to tell the printer to go through the print head cleaning process. It now simply keeps the spinning wheel displayed ever since. There must be an issue with the printer and not the separate new cartridges that I just bought. Please help!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.