Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy5549
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new Dell computer.  Anything printed from this computer only prints in grayscale.  If I print the same document from another computer to the same printer it will print in color.  Have downloaded the drivers from HP, but problem continues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Perhaps its a driver issue. If these tabs and features are missing from these places, let's start by completely uninstalling the printer - follow the steps in Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Then go to 123.hp.com and enter your printer model to start the install. 

See if that gets you these color options.

I work on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended
Opening the print settings window
Launch the HP print driver window from common Windows applications and learn how to navigate the different tabs and menus.
  1. Open the document or photo on your computer, click File or the menu icon , then click Print.
    A Print or Print Pictures window or pane opens with general print job settings, including the menu to select the printer you want to print to.
  2. Open Document Properties or Printing Preferences from the main print window or pane to access the HP print driver settings. The button or link name varies depending on the app you are printing from.
    • Microsoft Word: Click Printer Properties
    • Paint and WordPad: Click Preferences
    • Windows Photo Viewer: Click Options... in the lower right corner of the screen, then click Printer Properties... in the Print Settings window
    • Adobe PDF Reader: Click Properties
  3. To view the different settings, click the tabs along the top of the window. To access more settings, click the Advanced button that is often located on the Layout tab.
    Figure : Example of a printer Document Properties window
    HP Document Properties window with settings tabs and the Advanced settings button
  4. If a Printing Shortcut tab is available, click it to use shortcuts that already have essential settings already selected for common print job types. You may also create your own custom shortcut for future print jobs.
-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Hell Steff,

Check the print job settings from the document or photo you are printing. Click File > Print and look for any color settings menus there. You might need to click 'Printer Properties', 'Preferences, or 'Properties' in the window. This opens another window with other settings options you can select. 

I work on behalf of HP.

HP Recommended

Have tried this...get no options for selecting color/black & white/grayscale...

HP Recommended

Have tried this...get no options for selecting color/black & white/grayscale...

HP Recommended

Ok, how about we try going in and changing your default print job settings:

1. Search Windows for 'control panel', open it, then click Devices and Printers under Hardware and Sound.
  2. Right-click the icon for your printer, then click Printer properties.
    Figure : Right click your printer and select Printer properties
    Right click your printer and select Printer properties
  3. Click the Advanced tab, then click Printing Defaults.
    Figure : Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties
    Click Printing Defaults on the Advanced tab in Printer Properties
  4. Change any settings you want as defaults in the Printing Defaults window, then click OK.

Let me know if you were able to access these settings, and if you were able to get color printing set up.

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I was able to follow your instructions, however there is still no option for print in color.   On my work computer,  once i click on Printing Defaults I can access a tab called Paper/Quality on that screen is a section called color with radio buttons for color or black & white.   That section does not appear on the Paper/Quality tab on my Dell computer.

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Perhaps its a driver issue. If these tabs and features are missing from these places, let's start by completely uninstalling the printer - follow the steps in Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Then go to 123.hp.com and enter your printer model to start the install. 

See if that gets you these color options.

I work on behalf of HP.

HP Recommended

I tried this and the paper/Quality tab shows the options for grayscale and color.  However, the printer now shows with (NETWORK) after the printer name and has a comment that reads "This is a web services printer" .  Nothing will print.   I disabled th ePint option on the printer and tried uninstalling and installing again to no avail

HP Recommended

Hi Steff,

Sorry you are having trouble after the reinstall. If you go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers, do you see a couple different icons for your printer? If there is one without (Network) in the name (it should just be called HP ENVY 5549), right click it and select Set as Default Printer. Then try to print something and make sure to select the printer name from the list of available printers that matches the one you set as the default. Let me know if you could print after making that change.

I work on behalf of HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.