Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 5940
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi support,

i have a problem. I follow the standard Windows built-in device driver installation for my printer (HP DeskJet 5940 throught USB), but Windows doesn't have any available driver for such printer.

As stated here (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195) my printer is supported by windows, but in the facts it seems not.

I tried to install it manually but i stop this manual procedure because in the choosing of the built-in existing drivers, 5940 DeskJet, doesn't appears, so i cancel and returned to the desktop.

Furthermore, in the driver's built-in printer driver i see only the HP Deskjet 5520 series Class drivers and HT Deskjet 6520 class driver are existing but nothing about 59xx series.

What i can do to make my printer work with Windows 10 64 bit Home ?

Hope you can answer my question as soon as possible, i would thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Andrea Iavazzo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear support,

i have solved my question.

I have jump the step 6 of the " Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings".

To resume: at today (May 2017) to install for the first time the printer (5940) the user must follow the  "manual procedure" reported in the Step 3 of the Windows 10 built-in driver installation (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879).

Go to the "USB connection (Windows 10, 8 )" section and follow carefully every step especially the step 6: you have to refresh the entire pre built-in printer drivers list and wait (some minutes), because it seems that Windows 10 doesn't come with all built-in printer drivers(like 5900 series),  but the rest of them should be retrived anyway to find it.

Once the list has been refreshed go to HP producer and at this point you will find the 5900 series driver.

Note: In case the user abort the installation (for any reason) at the step 6, at next time, the user will have to download the driver again (the built-in driver list seems to be not persistent!)

Hope this guide will help anyone.

Best Regards,

Andrea Iavazzo.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Dear support,

i have solved my question.

I have jump the step 6 of the " Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings".

To resume: at today (May 2017) to install for the first time the printer (5940) the user must follow the  "manual procedure" reported in the Step 3 of the Windows 10 built-in driver installation (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879).

Go to the "USB connection (Windows 10, 8 )" section and follow carefully every step especially the step 6: you have to refresh the entire pre built-in printer drivers list and wait (some minutes), because it seems that Windows 10 doesn't come with all built-in printer drivers(like 5900 series),  but the rest of them should be retrived anyway to find it.

Once the list has been refreshed go to HP producer and at this point you will find the 5900 series driver.

Note: In case the user abort the installation (for any reason) at the step 6, at next time, the user will have to download the driver again (the built-in driver list seems to be not persistent!)

Hope this guide will help anyone.

Best Regards,

Andrea Iavazzo.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.