Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP 8710 printer

Suddenly my laptop says that my hp 8710 is offline.  My printer locally says that it is online and on the same network as my laptop.  Printing jobs shows errors. I unplugged an plugged back my printer and router with no success.  I ran the hp diagnostic tool with no success.  There are no jam papers.  I have spent many hours trying to solve this.  I have windows 10.  I have owned laptop and printer for years without this problem.  Any suggestions?  Does HP technical help own a phone that I can use to call them.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@katyprinter 

Ideas:

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Original Notes – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

After the Offline Doctor completes…

Verify / Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

OR

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on printer > Set printer as Default

NOTES – Selecting Default Printer 

1. Do not select the printer marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”
  2. Do not select the printer marked as “Fax”

Example Default Printer:  Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Net)

ReferenceHP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows) > Step 2: Manually set the default printer

==============================================================================

OR,

You can jump straight to reloading the Full Feature Software...

Full Feature Software - Uninstall > Install

The Full Feature Software installs into Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

This is the software that creates the shortcut icon on the Desktop named for the printer.

Completely uninstall the printer software from 

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in

Check

If the printer is still listed in Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer and Remove > Restart the computer and log in.

Next:

• Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software for your Operating System version.
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

What else?

Optional

Using a TCP/IP port can help with weird disconnect and Offline issues...

Method - Create TCP IP port

** Install – Optional - Port Issues - Create a TCP/IP port **

TCP/IP can resolve odd connection, scanning, and installation problems.

Create / Switch to a TCP/IP Port to facilitate communication and prevent ‘offline’ issues

How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by  greenturtle:

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, Right-Click the printer and Left-Click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:
Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

What else?

The HP Smart for Windows Application installs into Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

HP Smart Tasks for Windows and HP Smart Mobile

Where available, Smart Tasks can be configured for several print tasks.

• Print: Send a print job to your printer.
  • Email: Send an email message or attachments.
  • Save to: Save a file to a cloud storage account, such as Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive.

HP Printers - HP Smart: Use Smart Tasks

HP Smart for Windows - What If

If you have issues with HP Smart for Windows,

consider Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

Scroll down, Click on HP Smart > Advanced options

The application can, if necessary (or desired) be uninstalled and a fresh copy downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Adobe Reader DC is PDF viewing and printing software.

Adobe Reader DC – Needed Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

==============================================================================

What Else?

@katyprinter wrote:

<content removed>

Does HP technical help own a phone that I can use to call them.  

HP does not publicly post contact phone numbers in the USA.

Your printer is no longer under Warranty.

Normally, when a product is in warranty, it is easy to submit a case online for a covered warranty repair > receive contact information (including a local phone contact) > and ask for help. 

When your product is no longer in warranty - OR if the item for which you need help is not covered in the Warranty, it is sometimes a bit more difficult to submit a case.

If you would like to pay for non-warranty service,

I will certainly forward a request for Review so you can submit your case to HP Support.

Just ask.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.