Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5742
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  hoping someone can help me out my printer is driving me mad.  Its connected to the router via wifi and will happily print from iphone, however, the computers in the house suddenly cannot find it.  I have tried so many different things.  Removing and reinstalling does absolutely nothing because it cannot be located by Windows.  I have also tried performaing a networking reset to windows, refreshed windows, created a manual tcp/ip port which lit the printer up within windows, but thats it and checking the Function Discovery Provider Host services are running.

The HP Scan and Print doctor, i have found to be utterly useless.  It can see the printer, it cannot connect to it, and when i click try again scan and printer doctor gets so far and crashes!  I dont get why this is happening, the printer was working fine from both computers until yesterday.  any help would be most appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@pavilion28

Welcome to the HP support community.

This seems to be a driver issue, did you uninstall the driver from the root level before installing the new driver.

If not, follow the below steps:-

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer-related software.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer using HP smart app

Click here to download.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have followed the instructions and all goes well until it gets to the stage where it says to go into Devices and Printers and windows comes back with this (Try adding the printer again or contact the manufacturer.)  I believe this is an issue with windows 10.  both pc's in the house are experiencing this, and whenever i interact with the printer it either brings up the error message or the dialog box crashes the window and it stops reponding.  that cant be a coincidence.

hp.jpg

HP Recommended

@pavilion28

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix connectivity and printing issues.

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i've run the print and scan doctor numerous times. its useless.  It either finds the printer but cannot connect to it (phones etc can) or it doesnt find it at all.  either way it crashes on attempting to connect to the printer.  this happens on both pc's in the house which is why i believe this is related to windows 10

HP Recommended

@pavilion28

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ive just attempted to use HP smart to diagnose it, and it says' driver check issue not resolved'

HP Recommended

@pavilion28

This might require remote access to your computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Its out of warranty so i'm not going to get much help there! am I able to to hook it up with a USB lead and then leave the wireless connection to the router on for the instant ink functionality?  I just also got this message when trying if it helps with the code? 0x8000ffff Catastrophic Failure failure.jpg

HP Recommended

@pavilion28

We shall escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.