Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7720/7740

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me the following issue?

These printers do not provide any features or settings within their web interface for configuration of emails, so as I understand it, they do not actually send emails- they simply upload your scanned document and HP emails a link to the target address. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If the end user enters a personal email address (such a Gmail account), the emails are received.

If the end user tries to send a scan to their work email, nothing arrives. Nothing is caught in any filters- I can find no trace of an incoming email from HP to the end user's email system.

I am unable to diagnose this further, and I could really do with some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@BITS006 

I would guess the "work email" server is blocking the email.

If that is the case:

Work email servers work differently from the private email providers.

Work email server configuration is governed and administered by the IT department (or an individual depending on the size of the company).

The tendency of the work environment configuration standards leans to conservative - that is, not just "any email" will be accepted.  Emails that originate from other than an acceptable private individual - or another recognized company, for example - might be rejected by the server configuration.

There is no workaround to this - companies control what they accept into their mail servers.

Depending on the extent of the restrictions,

you might be able to send the 'Scan to Email" to a private address and then forward that email to the company.

What else?

Ask your IT department / mail server administrator to help with - or at least clarify - the standards required to send mail to your mail servers at your company.  The Administrator will have access to all mail interactions, even those that are rejected.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur, and thank you for replying.

I take the full blame for not making this clearer: I control the emails, and I am not seeing ANYTHING from HP- ostensibly, there is nothing coming OUT of HP's mail servers for the specified email addresses.

Thanks though. If there is any reason of which you know that might explain why HP does not like the target domain, I welcome the information.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@BITS006 

You are welcome.

Domains are tricky.

It is possible that the block is on the "other side", that is, the Scan to Email address is being rejected by the HP Server farm that accepts and sends emails to various domains / addresses.

If that is the case:

Even worse than at least having the mail sent to your work email and then be rejected,

There is no workaround to mail that is rejected by HP Servers.

Why does HP dislike your mail server / domain?

No idea.

HP might have a legal obligation to respect work domain server farms.

Try accepting the email at the aforementioned gmail address and forward that to your work mail server.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Alas, we are in general agreement- it is a pointless struggle. Obviously, I will not be using random third-party services just to shuttle potentially-sensitive documents between HP and my client's servers.

Thankfully, I think these printers are supplied by a third party equipment hire company, and so are not really my problem. Perhaps I'll offer to supply them with printers better suited to a professional environment- something that can actually send emails rather than just sending all the end user's data to HP.

Oh well- I'm off to close a ticket, and maybe upsell someone to a real printer.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@BITS006 

You are welcome.

Sometimes the answer is "It doesn't work that way."

We don't have any control over the tech - and unless someone is asking for an opinion - We don't have control over the answers.  Smiling.

In Terms of reasonably solving the initial problem:  

Too bad the forward to gmail and on to corporate idea didn't work.

Filtering and forwarding emails based on content or subject is not so different in terms of the simpler goal.

Filter/Forward can be automated and is generally useful in a consumer based environment.

"Yeah, but"

What none of this can do is close the loop on potential loss of corporate data.

Using any except a direct  method requires that you first trust a non-domain email recipient to catch and forward the mail.  Adding a gmail recipient might work - it does not resolve the underlying question:  Can / Should the method be used in the first place?

User Guide

This printer's user manual indicates the printer relies on the Apps method to configure Scan-to-Email.

Apps setup (on the printer display screen) is a less direct method than the one used those printers (for example, the Officejet Pro 9025) that support digital sending / SNMP protocol and other "office worthy" features:  Single pass duplex scanning, and Scan to Network Folder, for example.

Interestingly, the 7740 Datasheet  seems to indicate that digital sending is supported for Scan-to-Email.  I might be misunderstanding the context - or the manual is wrong, or the datasheet is wrong.  ?

If the "Apps" method is the one actually required on your printer(s), this is perhaps already less than what you need / want on an office printer, that is, a printer used for legal / professional sending / printing.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Email >  Settings

Example of an older printer that supports Scan-to-Email / SNMP

EWS_8740_Scan-to-Email_Setup_7AEWS_8740_Scan-to-Email_Setup_7A

Regardless of the initial setup, and whether SNMP protocol would even solve the problem you face, for the overall process to meet corporate standard, you might need a different methodology.

Be Aware:

The 7740 and the 7720 are "wide" body printers - these support paper sizes not found on many printers, even those whose other features make them very attractive for the office environment.

Stay Safe.

References

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide FormatAll-in-One PrinterAll-in-One Printer - Datasheet 

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, these printers expose no useful settings on their web interface, and likely provide little more from the front panel, though I cannot verify this without incurring callout charges that are hard to justify (not our printers, and most probably a dead end).

We supply a range of HP printers to our clients, and we configure these to send emails directly- in theory, the data need never venture beyond its trusted domains and clouds. I much prefer low-level features and configurability to a one-touch solution for reasons of both security and versatility. I expect the wide-format hardware is precisely the reason for the client's acquisition of these specific models.

Oh well. 😕

(thanks again, by the way - your input is appreciated)

HP Recommended

@BITS006 

You are welcome.

I suspected as much - not all printers support SNMP / digital filing / sending.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.