Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 - ePrint stopped working on 12/2/2020, no new updates or software that I'm aware of. I was not on-site so I emailed documents to my printer as I often do, it worked fine on 11/30 & 12/1 no errors or email bounce-back.  The Printer says " The printer could not connect to Web Services" when I try to go into the web services tab on the printers display.

I can still print from my other networked devices on-site. I have also reset the switch, and modem.

Print/Scan Doc settings are correct and turned on.

Web Access Test results page printed and states DNS does not allow the DNS server name to be confirmed. I have tried the suggested solution (cold reset)

Diagnostic Results:

>Local Network

-Connected = Wired

>Gateway

-Configured = 192.168.1.1

-Accessible = PASS

>DNS

-Configured = 192.168.1.1

-Accessible = PASS

-Confirmed = FAIL

Current Configuration:

-HP ePrint = ON

-Printer address = 192.168.1.130

-Configuration Source = DHCP

-DNS Setting = AUTO (currently shows 192.168.1.1 - I also tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

-Proxy Server Address = Not Specified

-Proxy Server PORT = Not Specified

-Proxy Server Authentication = OFF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Print a Printer Status Report and locate the Firmware Version of the printer.

What is the listed Firmware version? see the last 6 characters.

If it is not the latest firmware but list a lower number than 2043A, please install the latest firmware from your PC:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8740-all-in-one-printer-...

Now check for any difference with HP ePrint.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Print a Printer Status Report and locate the Firmware Version of the printer.

What is the listed Firmware version? see the last 6 characters.

If it is not the latest firmware but list a lower number than 2043A, please install the latest firmware from your PC:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8740-all-in-one-printer-...

Now check for any difference with HP ePrint.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

You're Awsome:Award_Gold:

The firmware update was the solution - My printer firmware update failed at first then after a reset it took the Update tested 2x works like it use to!

Stay Safe - Happy Holidays

HP Recommended

Hello - my HP8600 similarly stopped connecting to web services, and has stopped working with several of my laptops.  It still works with one Mac.

My firmware version ends with 1829AR.  I tried updating firmware with the Mac that connects to the printer, but it says "Cannot update the device.  This FIrmware Updater does not contain upgrades for your device."

I have tried everything else I can find online, including resetting the network settings, connecting through ethernet and wireless, updating router firmware, multiple power-downs and up for the printer, router and computers, resetting the IP address to static.

I have tried to reinstall the HP software on my Windows laptop, but that fails because of an error around administrative privileges.  I tried running as administrator, and all the steps I could find on that error as well.

The printer had been showing as "offline" so I deleted it and tried to re-add it, but now the windows laptop cannot find it.  I have tried adding it through the IP address, but that does not work.

I am able to connect to the Embedded Web Server, and it shows all the web services as enabled.  However, there is still a link in the embedded web server to eprintservices that does not work (I understand this website has been discontinued).

I have tried at length to find support alternatives, but the only support option (other than the automated assistant, which is not useful), is a link to care packages.  When I try to sign up for those, I get an error that my serial number is not accepted.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello

As a quick update, I was able to re-add the 8600 through Windows by using an option that indicated I was connecting to an older printer.  The web service still do not work, and all of the controls on the embedded web browser that would allow for scanning now time out.

I'm not seeing any replies here.  Has support been discontinued for this all-in-one?

HP Recommended

can you post a firmware update for officejet 8040   have similar issue

HP Recommended

My firmware is up to date, but I am getting the same DNS fail message

i am trying to scan to my gmail account over WiFi home network

any ideas on how to resolve?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.