Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 Professional. I already had the HP PSC 1215 Series which I used with my old Windows XP computer (it worked fine with that). With the XP computer it used the HP PSC 1200 Series driver and it printed and scanned without any problems. Now, with the Windows 7 PC, I'm having a bit of trouble with the printer. Firstly, I cannot change the Printing Preferences (when I click it, a window appears and the disappers almost instantly). Secondly, it cannot print Word documents properly (using Microsoft Office 2010). It can print text perfectly well, but diagrams, word art and pictures it sometimes doesn't print at all, and other times it printes only part of it.

On the HP website, it says that you don't need to download any drivers for Windows 7, that it will install everything by itself. It did install, but clearly not properly. Windows update did update the driver, but that made no changes.

Is there anything I can do, or is the printer just too old for Windows 7? Thanks for any help!

Mr_Bean355

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello AA,

I have good news...for me at least! I somehow fixed it so that I can change my Printing Preferences! All that I did was I went into the device's settings and, under the "Advanced" tab, changed the driver to "hp psc 1200 series". Here's what it looks like:

Printer Properties

Now, after changing this, when I go to the printer's properties, it brings up this message:

Error Thingy

I just click "No" and it works fine! I can change the printing quailty to "Fast Draft" or "Maximum DPI".

Let me know whether this works for you or not!

Mr_Bean

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

I am pleased that someone else has EXACTLY the same problem as me - and since it is 'common' , I am deeply disappointed there has been no reply... esp since one might have thought HP would be interested.

I have just tried uninstalling and re-installing the 1215... but with no success.

HELLO HP - WE NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Yay, someone else has the same problem! I have been annoyed that no-one from HP has replied to this topic. Maybe the printer is just too old for Windows 7?

Have u tried using your CD to install the driver? I haven't tried yet because I cannot find mine! If you have yours, please try that and let me know...

Thanks,

Mr_Bean355

HP Recommended

Have not tried using a CD to do the deed because I don't actually have the driver. The advice I received (from HP's website as I recall) when I got my W7 machine was that the new software would be delivered via Windows Update - and it was. So the stuff came down the ether and remains ethereal. Perhaps there's a way to download it and put it on CD... but I've no idea how to do that.

Meanwhile, I have used the support email facility on this site to mail HP's managing director (they don't allow you to do anything as simple and sensible as emailing an HP techie for advice!) and have had an acknowledgement. I will post the response here. Could be a week or two before anything comes down from On High.

HP Recommended

Try using the Deskjet 990 driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you 8lives (or should I call you cat-1?).

Despite the fact that your suggestion rather worried me (... after all, my printer does work with W7: it's only the preferences prob that concerns me... could I lose functionality by using a different driver?), I went for it!

But it proved a rather pointless quest. I downloaded what I thought was the 990 driver ( HPPIW.exe) from the HP website, only to discover that it was a wizard leading me back to the HP website at a page titled

hp.com home
How to Get Your Printer Working with Windows 7

which gives lots of advice that does not appear to allow me to download a driver for a printer I do not have, and does not enable me to address the problem that I do have.

Anyway, I did follow the advice for uninstalling and re-installing my printer. I have done this already, but the website offered what seemed to be more detailed and rigorous instructions. "more detailed and rigorous" yes, but not more effective. My psc1215 now has the updated driver (which it already had!), but still no 'Preferences'.

Hey ho!

HP Recommended

Manually add a psc1215 printer and use the 990C as the driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Ummm, I can't find the Deskjet 990C in my driver list (Windows 7). Is that its full name?

I tried using the psc 1500 driver, but the test page couldn't print.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Okay, I found the 990c driver (updated the list with Windows Update). It installs fine but it cannot print at all! This is starting to get very irritating...

HP Recommended

You will need to do a Windows Update on the Add printer page.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.