Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Excellent! Thank you that was the fix.  

HP Recommended

Hello sdrew

Glad I could be of help! :generic:

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

How do I "Accept as Solution" or mark the post?  Sorry I am post/blog illiterate!!!

HP Recommended

Hello sdrew

I appreciate the gesture, but this thread was already marked Accepted Solution on the previous page and there is only one Accepted Solution per thread. Also only the original author of the thread can mark the Accepted Solution. Thank you anyway.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Is there a way to change the default AirPrint settings to black & white only?

HP Recommended

Hello aggiemullins

Are you talking about AirPrint from a Mac or a mobile device like the iPad or iPhone?

HP Recommended

I did do what you said and it worked for one day.  When I came in the next day the printer would not print again because the "yellow" ink was depleted.  I bought only black as replacements as that is the only color I intended to use with this printer.  Is there any way to make this work or am I forced to continue to buy colors that are not to be used?  OH I chose the setting "plain paper, fast black, black and white".  I havent used this printer since our last correspondence as I just havent had time to mess with it.

HP Recommended

Hello sdrew

The yellow ink will need to be replaced. Below is an explanation as to why:

HP, like other printer manufacturers, offers printers with permanent printheads that require ink for all the colors to keep from damaging the printheads. HP, like some other manufacturers, also offers printers with user replaceable printheads. These may or may not require ink in all colors to print, although damage may occur if printing with empty cartridge. Finally, HP like a few other manufacturers also offers printers with the printhead built into the ink supply. It is replaced each time you change the cartridge. These printers will happily print with a supply low, empty or for many models even removed completely.

Your Officejet Pro 8600 is in the first category. It uses permanent printheads that cannot be replaced. If a supply is allowed to run out the printhead may be damaged, which would require service or replacement.

HP Recommended

I am having difficulty on my mac (10.8.2) trying to set the default setting to printing a single page.  The only way I can print one sided is to open up as a  PDF in print preview and then unclick the two sided box.  Is there an easier way to have this as my default setting? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello nrtighe

How exactly are you trying to print the PDF? Is it from a specific application? In order to change print settings for PDF I presed Command + P to open the prompt (or File -> Print) and the option to print two-sided is a check box. Uncheck two-sided if it isn't already and switch the Presets dropdown to save to new preset.

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.41.07 PM

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.