Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer.  I have had great luck with HP printers in the past but this one is a piece of junk.  I have tried all the "Fixes" suggested by HP and it still wont feed any type of paper other than regular print paper.  It gives an "Out Of Paper Error" with envelopes, card stock, and photo paper.  It is so bad that I have given it to my granddaughter to use and have gone back to an old HP printer that at least works with all types of paper. 

Has anyone had any luck with a REAL fix for this issue???

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hope you are doing well and welcome to the forum edeckmanb;

I see you feel you try all steps offer by in HP support page so I wil not bother you with more, at that stage,  I am afraid that only viable solution is to service the printer. but before you do that,  have you  try this utility.

Please follow this link www.hp.com/go/tools . Download and use the HP hardware diagnostic tool.  Following are some common printing problems or error conditions that the Hardware Diagnostic Utility can help you resolve easily Paper Jam, Carriage Stall, and Original (document feeder) Jam, Out of Paper, Paper Mismatch, Blinking Lights, Door Open, Print Quality and others. After you run the utility let me know the outcome, I will do my absolute best to help you. 

Hope this helps!

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

Mine was doing the same and i reset my word and office software back too default setting and its working fine now??

HP Recommended

I've got a slightly different problem.  When I print an envelope (a #10 business envelope), the envelope does not feed straight through; instead, it goes in at an angle and the printing on the envelope is thus crooked.  Don't have a clue as to what to do.  I tried feeding the envelope on the right hand side of the paper tray and on the left hand side as well.  In both cases the envelope doesn't feed straight through and the printing is crooked.

HP Recommended
fnickols,

Envelopes that print skewed could have a couple of causes. Firstly do these envelopes have any glossy parts or plastic windows? If so try a normal envelope to see if the issue persists. If no windows or glossy backgrounds we will want to inspect and clean our feed rollers. However, to do that I will need to know you printer model and model number.
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

The problem is that the printer recognizes that it can't print on both sides of non-standard size paper or any envelope.

Before you start getting ready to print, click the Windows ball,   click "Devices and Printers,"  double click on your Default HP printer, and double click "Set Preferences".  Change  Print on Both Sides to "NONE".

For some reason, the dirver sees this "both sides" problem as a "Wrong Paper Size" error. (Windows 7 procedure)

HP Recommended
PhilNuff,

Thank you for posting the steps that worked for you! I am sure it will help others in the community :).
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

HP has recently released a firmware update for the 8600 series printer.  The firmware has several product fixes/enhancements.  Below is the list:

1) Enhance ePrint Diagnostic report for ePrint Setup
2) Improve ease of wireless setup
3) Enhanced Embedded Web Services
4) Improve Print Quality
5) Improve Ink Usage
6) Improve paper path performance
7) Improve Digital scan performance 

The firmware version is CLP1CN1304AR and was released 2013-03-21.

As mentioned in 6), the paper path performance has been improved and this was directed at printing with Cardstock/Photo Paper in the 8600.  

There are 3 different versions of the 8600 and I will provide links below to the download page for this firmware update for each.

8600 Base (N911a or CM749a)

8600 Plus (CM750a or N911g)

8600 Premium (N911n or CN577a)

For information about how to perform a firmware update in the 8600 click the link below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Let me know the results of updating the firmware and differences with the product's capacity to handle Cardstock/Photo Paper.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I can't print envelopes or photo paper, either. I can print cards, and just about anything else, though. I've tried all the fixes above, and none of them worked. I did the diagnosis, downloaded the firmware, and set printing both sides to "none". I still can't print envelopes at all; not from Word, or from my Hallmark Card program. It's not the programs, it's the printer.

Whether I put the envelope in by itself, and use the blue squeeze sizing frames, or put the envelope on a stack of 8" x 11" paper and try to print, I get the "Out of Paper" message, so I touch OK and it tries to print again, and I get the "Paper detected is not the size ~~ whatever the rest of the message is". I've changed printer settings in Control Panel and in the programs, and nothing works. The printer still won't print any envelopes, regardless of the program I'm using. Since this is a printer for my home office, printing envelopes is very important. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ditch this printer and get a Canon or an Epson, one that will print envelopes. I don't want to have to call a tech guy to fix it as it's only 3 months old...I'm really frustrated.

At home in the Rocky Mountains
HP Recommended

has anyone figured out how to print card stock and glossy paper on their HP8600 all in one printer. I recently purchased a new printer and can't print on anything but regular paper. Help...I am going crazy with this machine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.