Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
05-25-2015 08:36 AM
05-26-2015 01:50 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Forum. I hope you enjoy your experience here. :robothappy:
I understand you're being prompted for a password when using your HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer with your iPad. I would like to assist you with this.
From what you're describing, it sounds like you're connecting your printer to the iPad via wireless direct and you're being prompted for the printer's wireless direct password. Here's how to obtain the info you're looking for:
NOTE:The HP wireless direct connection is for printer use only. When you change the connection from your local network to your printer's HP wireless direct connection, you must reconnect to your local network after printing to access the Internet.
- On the printer control panel, touch the HP wireless direct icon (), or navigate to the Network Setup or Wireless Settings menu and touchWireless Direct, and then turn on the connection.
- To require a password (recommended) when connecting to the printer, select On or On with security. Note the security passcode, and then touch OK.
- On the mobile device, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, and then select HP-Print-xx-[your printer model name] from the list of available networks.
NOTE:If the printer name does not display, you might be out of range of the HP wireless direct signal. Move your device and printer closer together.Figure : Example of Wi-Fi settings and the HP wireless direct printer selected on an Apple device
- If prompted, type the security passcode from the printer control panel.
- Open the photo or document that you want to print, and then tap Print from the app menu or the action menu.
NOTE:If the app does not support printing, install the HP ePrint mobile app from the Apple or Google Play store to print.
- Select your printer model from the list of available printers, and then tap Print.
- Reconnect the mobile device to your normal wireless network after the print job completes.
Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post. If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Have a great day! :robotvery-happy:
03-19-2016 09:32 AM - edited 03-19-2016 09:33 AM
Assuming you have no router to connect to an ISP, you must print out the Network Config sheet to see your password.
Print network configuration page.
The network configuration page will display the network
status, hostname, network name, and more.
Press the Wireless button and the Start Copy Black button from the printer control panel at the same time.
09-17-2016 03:21 AM
Hi ,I've tried your suggestion of pressing on the wireless and black print icon's and only received a few red arrows and blue squares and dashes! I'm trying to set up from my iPad. Please sent back instructions for a complete novice. Thank you