Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hp lj1022 Printer not connecting thru USB port after installing new hp lj1020/1022 upgrade driver for Windows 7 (64 bit). Driver appears to install correctly up to the point where you are instructed to plug in the USB cable. Then it hangs up. Hp lj 1020 Printer appears in Control Panel display as default printer. Computer recognizes the printer as hp lj1022 Printer but in a seperate  "Unspecified Device panel when, and only when, the printer is powered up and the USB cable is connected. When printing, nothing ever gets out of queue.

Diagnostics find only that a task is stuck in queue and delete the task from queue, but to no avail. Diagnostics show no other problem.

The lj1022 printer accepts data from two other computers, both running Windows xP, and using the same cables. Three other USB ports have been tried on the new  Windows 7 computer without results. The USB ports on the Windows 7 computer accept keyboards, flash memories, and wireless mouse dongle without problem. The Windows 7 computer also sends data to a wireless printer without any problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Rmhodgson, 

Run the following utility below. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Hi Rmhodgson, 

Run the following utility below. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Dear HP Employee

Thanks for getting back on this. That’s worth kudos just for that alone. I hope I can keep your attention until the problem is solved. I downloaded and ran the utility from your link.

Upon running the HP HPPDU driver utility, the diagnostic first scans the computer and reports:

Printer                     Model                          Connect          State   

HP Laserjet 1020      HP Laserjet 1020         USB                Installed

HP Laserjet 1022      HP Laserjet 1020         USB                Not Installed

This is consistent with the Control Panel which display a HP1020 Printer installed as the default,  and a HP1022 Printer in the “Unspecified” category whenever the USB cable is connected.

Next, selecting the HP1020-USB-Installed option states that HP1020 is not connected and then takes you to the usual USB “not connecting” troubleshooting steps. I don’t know how you can do better than a short, known good, USB cable plugged directly into the USB port on the back of the computer.

Going back and selecting the HP1022-USB-Not installed option leads you back to downloading the HP 1020-1022 Win7 x64 driver again.

There is another Troubleshooter, I think it’s the one resident in Win7, which lists each and every possible printer problem area as being okay, except that something is stuck in the printer queue. It then deletes the stuck task, states that all problems have been fixed, and then recommends printing a test page to demonstrate everything is okay. Of course, the test page is immediately stuck in queue. For some reason, Microsoft has made it very difficult to delete tasks still in the printer queue. Until Win7 this task had always been no-brainer simple. Progress I guess, but I digress!

Back to my real problem. Could the upgraded win7 x64 1020-1022 driver be, in fact, compatible only with the 1020 printer and not with its 1022 sibling? That seems very unlikely. Could the 1020-1022 driver be moving data to a logical port location that is not a valid USB port, and from which it cannot be moved and hence “stuck”. Could the 1022 printer, after being correctly identified as a HP LJ1022 Printer whenever the USB cable is connected, then be placed into the “unspecified” category because the relationship between the 1022 Printer and the 1020-1022 driver is not recognized? As you can see, I’m grasping at straws. HP Laserjet drivers, from the LJ II forward, have almost installed themselves.

HP Recommended

Hi Rmhodgson, 

Uninstall all the printers installed on the computer, and then run disk cleanup from the system tools. Restar the computer, and then download the file from the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-101596-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Good Morning to my favorite HP employee

Followed your instructions, cleaned out everything, then rebooted,downloaded and installed the pnp driver. It worked like a charm. The driver and the LJ1022 are now talking to each other. Wish I could do the same for my LJ1018, but the compatibility chart gives the LJ1010 family big red Xs, maybe due to the DOT4 configuration.

I'll quit while I'm ahead. Thank you very much for your help and follow-up. Well worth the kudos!

Bob Hodgson

HP Recommended

Hi Rmhodgson, 

Glad to hear everything has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

For two days I've been trying to reinstate HP Solution Center for my Photosmart D110a.  Ive installed and reinstalled using CD and hp website download. I've run the HP Print Diagnostic - all is good to go with green check marks! Clicking on the desktop icon HP Solution Center, the message reads "device is not connected".

During restallation(s) when prompted to connect USB to printer and computer there is no recognition of the connection.  There is an error message of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\services\ITMRTSVC" - I ran my registry cleaner but nothing has changed.  HP Website sent me desk icon "HP installation" but that doesn't help either.    Please advise..patience is running extremely low. 

-netsnote

HP Recommended

Hi netsnote,

Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the Adobe Flash download....sadly, my issue remains. I have the software  (HP  Solutions, Update, Photo Creations, Photosmart D110fseries and Smart Web Printing), Printer works, and is "Ready" under Control Panel but I when I click on "Solutions Center" I get error message "Device is not connected".

Shall I remove everything and start anew as if I just purchase printer? I am simply at a loss and so very confused at this point.

-netsnote

p.s. I'm sorry to be such a pain....

HP Recommended

Hi netsnote,

Yes, uninstall the printer from the add/remove programs, and then reinstall using the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-80511-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.