Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-10-2017 12:10 PM
Most attempts to print a pdf from my imac result in a printer error : "Stopped - Failed Filter ". After trying to troubleshoot this I often get a different error " Stopped - Unable to convert PostScript file " I've tried reinstalling the printer many times, updating drivers and no success MOST of the time. Any suggestions to eliminate this ?
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-11-2017 11:01 AM
Hello, @lwatl – Hope you are well 🙂
Thank you for reaching out to HP Support Forums. I would like to help you with the issue 🙂
I understand that you are having issues while printing pdf. Let’s try to reset the printing system, which will fix these types of issues almost always. Follow the step below and check:
- Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
- Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
- Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
- Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
- Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
- Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
- Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
- Click the “Add button” (+).
- Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
- Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)
Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.
Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!
I am not an HP Employee
01-17-2017 10:35 AM
Thank you so much! After about only 3 minutes I now can print pdfs from both my printers without error !! I cannot believe this was so easy to fix after spending so much time trying to troubleshoot on my own. I never realized that simply reinstalling the printer was not the same as resetting the printing system...
Appreciate the help!
10-11-2017 03:09 AM
I have also expirience this problem with error msg printer failed and there is some pop up error msg that need to be send to apple.
I have tried your solution but it still doesnt work for me?? could be from software problem?
Please kindly advice.
10-19-2018 01:54 AM
have tried reset print , as per instructions - not helped. thsi has occurred since I upgraded to sierra? on mac trying to get help but cant find a phonenumber. my phone prints out of on my wireless hp 5530 and so does the I mac but my macbook does not????
10-19-2018 08:27 AM
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!
I work on behalf of HP