Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

MacOS Sonoma with HP OfficeJet 3830.  The printer will print test pages from HP Smart and from the printer web page but when a job is sent from the computer it immediately goes to "paused".  This happens on three different laptops all connected to the same network.

I have tried removing the printer and re-adding it.  It does show up as a Bonjour printer and I am able to add it.

I am able to print if I add the printer by IP but not when I add it via the discovered Bonjour name.  

Any ideas why this might happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just solved this issue with Apple Support.  The problem is the security certificate on the printer.  You need to go to the printer's web page, and find the certificate.  You'll probably find that it has expired.  There is an option to create a new self-signed certificate.  Do that, let it update, and the problem should go away.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @jkranes,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there may be an issue with the communication between your laptops and the printer when using Bonjour. Bonjour is Apple's zero-configuration networking protocol, which allows devices to automatically discover and connect to each other on a local network.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue.

• Check Printer Settings: Make sure that the printer is not set to offline mode. Sometimes, printers can be set to offline mode accidentally, which would cause print jobs to be paused.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Ensure that your HP OfficeJet 3830 has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes, outdated firmware can cause compatibility issues with newer operating systems.
  • Restart Devices: Try restarting both your laptops and the printer. This can sometimes resolve communication issues.
  • Check Firewall Settings: Ensure that your firewall settings are not blocking communication between the laptops and the printer. Bonjour relies on multicast DNS (mDNS) for device discovery, so ensure that mDNS traffic is allowed on your network.
  • Reset Printing System: On your Mac, you can try resetting the printing system by going to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, then right-clicking (or Control-clicking) on the printer list and selecting "Reset printing system." Note that this will remove all printers from your system, so you'll need to re-add them afterward.
  • Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your MacOS Sonoma is up to date. Sometimes, software updates can resolve compatibility issues with printers.
  • Alternate Connection Methods: Since you mentioned that adding the printer via IP address works, you can continue using this method as a workaround. However, it's still worth investigating the Bonjour issue for convenience.

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue with printing over Bonjour on your network.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Just solved this issue with Apple Support.  The problem is the security certificate on the printer.  You need to go to the printer's web page, and find the certificate.  You'll probably find that it has expired.  There is an option to create a new self-signed certificate.  Do that, let it update, and the problem should go away.

HP Recommended

YES!!!

Thanks so much, that was exactly the solution.  That would never have occurred to me -- AND I AM A SOFTWARE ENGINEER!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately updating the certificate did not work for me. Every time I print using the HP drivers it pauses the print queue. If I use a generic postscript driver it prints fine. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.