Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 6970
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have the All in One Printer HP 6970 that will go to a white screen when idle.  I have downloaded the HP app for Macs and firmware is up to date.  I also researched a bit and did the whole setup of unplugging, and plugging directly into the outlet and followed the other steps and that has not helped either.  Any ideas or thoughts on what else I can try to get it to stay on?  I'm missing faxes and keep getting calls from my kids saying they can't print because it goes offline when this happens.

Thanks,

Tony 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have been having the same exact problem - firmware is up to date, plugged directly into wall, only pushing the power button when it happens fixes it. I call this sleep mode that needs to be shaken out of the bed in order to wake it up. Very frustrating when my wife wants to print something and I have to go to the printer to reset it every time...

John

HP Recommended

Hi @blkhwks55,

I'd like to help!

I understand the printer screen goes blank or white.

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi @jmg83bls,

I'd like to help!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

The printer is HP Officejet Pro 6978

HP Recommended

@jmg83bls,

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

If you sent me a private message, I don't see it.

HP Recommended

@jmg83bls,

Could you check now, I have resent the message?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.