Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

I've had my OfficeJet Pro 7740 for nearly 5 years and it has worked without any issues until 2 weeks ago.

It will not print and I get a Driver Unavailable message. I've tried removing the device, but I get a 'remove fail' message.

I've looked at the string of messages about this from last year and before. My attempts to follow the instructions has come to naught.

Please advise with a specific sequence of steps that can be followed by someone who has minimal tech abilities.

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @HealthyQi ,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Here's what you need to do:

1. Uninstall HP printer software, and then remove the printer from your Devices list. 
  2. Restart the PC
  3. Close all programs
  4. download only this complete package: HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 
  5. Close all programs
  6. Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo > in folder Downloads double-click on the EXE,
    File name: Full_Webpack-40.16.1234_1-OJ7740_Full_Webpack.exe (116.6 MB)
  7. The installation was completed successfully, now you must ...
  8. Restart the System again
  9. Now the installation is complete.

Document error messages accurately, even better is to take a screenshot of it and upload here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andr-1611

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Or click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @HealthyQi ,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Here's what you need to do:

1. Uninstall HP printer software, and then remove the printer from your Devices list. 
  2. Restart the PC
  3. Close all programs
  4. download only this complete package: HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 
  5. Close all programs
  6. Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo > in folder Downloads double-click on the EXE,
    File name: Full_Webpack-40.16.1234_1-OJ7740_Full_Webpack.exe (116.6 MB)
  7. The installation was completed successfully, now you must ...
  8. Restart the System again
  9. Now the installation is complete.

Document error messages accurately, even better is to take a screenshot of it and upload here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andr-1611

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Or click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Andr-1611, for your response and clear directions. I didn't have to use them because oddly, my printer returned to normal function today.

I was about to start your process but wanted to disconnect my external drive from my USB port before I began. I kept getting a message that the drive was use and I need to close all programs before disconnecting. So I hit restart, removed the external drive, and the system restarted with an update.

Out of curiosity I checked my device settings and lo and behold, the printer was listed and its status was 'idle.' I printed a test page and it worked! I don't know why, but I've saved your instructions as I'm sure this is likely to happen again.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your feedback, HealthyQi.
One more tip from me, download the latest software and archive the software.
Regards

Andr-1611

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.