Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm going to send HP a $600 invoice, having just spent 6 hours on this nonsense

HP Recommended

Can confirm that this suggestion seems to work. So far the 79 Service Error boot loop is gone. HP M281fdw

HP Recommended

The HP Printer Setup Community finally figured out an easy fix for this problem, at least for many users. The process:  during the brief period the printer is in a ready state (home screen displayed on the printer touchscreen) after re-initializing, on the printer screen, select setup >> network setup >> network services >> IPV6 to OFF. The theory is that the IPV6 code in the 20201021 firmware is buggy, and perhaps (or perhaps not) the firmware release sets IPV6 to ON. This won't work for you if you need IPV6 on your printer, but hopefully many users of this printer can get by with IPV4. If this doesn't work, check the Printer Setup Community conversation on this topic, as powering down the router and other steps may provide a long enough window to turn off IPV6. I found that I had enough time to switch off IPV6 without turning off my router. Also, you may want to change the setting for printer updates to "prompt before update" to ensure you are aware of and approve of future printer firmware updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.