Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

8740 printer shows Insufficient memory when printing and has no copy. 

Is my insufficient memory with the printer or my HP Envy laptop

How do I free up more memory

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @mbotti,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

When your HP 8740 printer shows an "Insufficient Memory" error, it can be caused by a few different factors such as the complexity of the print job, printer settings, or a lack of available memory. Here are some steps to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

Step 1: Reduce Print Job Complexity

1. Simplify the Document:
    • Reduce the resolution of the document (e.g., from 1200 dpi to 600 dpi).
    • Split large documents into smaller sections and print them separately.
    • Reduce the number of images or graphics in the document.

Step 2: Adjust Printer Settings

Print in Draft Mode:

• Use draft mode to print less detailed versions of documents, which uses less memory.
  • Go to the printer properties and select "Draft" or "EconoMode".

Reduce Print Quality:

• Lower the print quality settings.
  • Go to the printer settings on your computer and choose a lower print quality.

Step 3: Clear Print Queue and Restart Printer

Clear the Print Queue:

• Open the print queue on your computer and cancel all pending print jobs.
  • This can sometimes free up memory that was being used by other jobs.

Restart the Printer:

• Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, and wait for about 30 seconds.
  • Plug the printer back in and turn it on.

Step 4: Update Firmware and Drivers

Update Firmware:

• Check for and install any available firmware updates for your HP 8740 printer from the HP Support website.

Update Drivers:

• Ensure that you have the latest printer drivers installed on your computer. Download the latest drivers from the HP Support website.

Step 5: Increase Printer Memory

1. Add Additional Memory (if applicable):
    • Some printers allow you to add additional memory modules. Check the printer's manual or HP's website to see if this is an option for your model.

Step 6: Check for Copy Function Issues

If the printer is not copying, there could be a hardware or software issue:

Check Scanner Functionality:

• Ensure the scanner bed is clean and there are no obstructions.
  • Try to scan a document to see if the scanner is working correctly.

Check Printer Settings:

• Ensure that the copy settings on the printer are correctly configured.
  • Reset the printer settings to default to rule out any misconfiguration.

Step 7: Reset Printer to Factory Defaults

Factory Reset:

• Perform a factory reset on the printer to clear any potential software issues.
  • Navigate to the settings menu on the printer, look for the reset option, and follow the on-screen instructions.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be necessary to contact HP Support for further assistance. There could be an underlying hardware issue that requires repair.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.