Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

IMG_20180728_112259.jpg

When I print in color picture/words come out clear, when I print in black it skips. Started about 1/4 way through a new ink cartridge. Tried cleaning the cartridge but nothing changed. Bought new black ink cartridge and it is still doing it. How do I fix this, or is my printer shot? It's only about a year old...

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.

On the side of the printer on the paper feed roller there is a disk that is like a strobe timing for the paper feeding.That disk might be dirty or even loose and not letting the machine feed the paper correctly.What you can do is to set different speeds like draft to slower speed and better quality printing and see if it resolves the problem.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended
Could this still be the problem if when I change the black text to a color and it prints ok?
HP Recommended
Also should mention that sometimes the 2nd or 3rd page of a black ink doc will print fine?
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.

I would suspect the black cartridge.Remove the cartridge (Black) and give it a hard downward shake.Sometimes there is a airlock in the cartridge that can cause the ink to flow at intervals.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

I tried both of your suggestions and neither of them has made a change. I also tried the first and second level cleaning and printing an alignment page. I'm attaching a photo of the alignment pages that prints out. IMG_20180728_191605.jpg

HP Recommended

This is the diagnostic test too.IMG_20180728_192329.jpg

HP Recommended

IMG_20180728_191605.jpgIMG_20180728_192329.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.