Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6970

Since a few weeks my Officejet Pro started to stop working after some time (within an hour or so). The display is showing a bright white color and the printer is not available anymore (I use it over WiFi). 

I've found a few posts on the internet that describe the same problem and the solution should be to disconnect the printer from electricity and connect it again after some time. I did this (waited for a few hours), but this didn't help.

I want to try if a factory reset would help, but I think I will need setup cartridges to set it up again? 

Or is there anyone suggesting another option?

Regards,

Emile.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Emile7,

I know this problem.  We have an OJ 8725 and it has been intermittently  doing this since 2016, when we bought it.  Recently, it has become really frequent, as you mentioned.  Variations of this problem have been very frequently described on these sites since 2009.  A few examples:

Printer Keeps Going Offline - 17-9-7

HP Printer Offline Problem - HP's "Fix"

HP OJ Pro 8720 DHCP Fix - 21-3-25

None of the "fixes" seem to fix the problems for long, and I have tried several others to no avail.  HP is usually unresponsive, but when they do respond, they want you to modify the functioning of all other systems to make their product work.

Sadly, after using HP printers for 30 years at home and at work, I'm throwing in the towel.  I've already switched to Dell processors.  Now I'm going to try to find a printer that doesn't repeatedly go offline and doesn't use $150 worth of ink per year.

Good Luck,

Larry

HP Recommended

Hello Emile,

I've got exactly the same problem with my OfficeJet PRO 6970. Now it can't be on more than 1 hour without finding it with blank screen.

Did you found any solution?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.