Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

when mine did this I tried many things.  After two days and many hours of research I unplugged ALL of the cables from it as a last ditch effort and plugged it back in.  It works fine now.  This worked with my Wii as well. 

HP Recommended

:TongueOut: tnx a lot it works...

HP Recommended

"Print Cartridges - Refer to printer documentation

HP Recommended

My conclusions is that this printer is a piece of rubbish.

Have done it all. Replaced cartridges, cleaned contacts, soft reset, pull cables...etc. Every known "solution" up on the web.

Even with shoddy cartirdges, you can't even use it as a scanner or memory card reader.

A total waste of money.

HP should come clean and admit the design is defective.

I recommend never purchasing HP again.

HP Recommended

thanks- it worked perfectly!

HP Recommended

I am getting "Refer to Printer Documentation" message on my C5280 All-In-One printer. I replaced the cartridges and cleaned the contacts but did not work. Please help... 

HP Recommended

check out the reset instructions that were posted on 11.09.10- i followed them and the problem was gone! However, it unfortunately has returned, so this time i'll enter the manual reset and then unplug/replug all cabling as subsequent posts suggested....

HP Recommended

thanks for the tip- i followed your instructions and the printer worked fine. HOWEVER, problem has reappeared- am going to do another reset and then unplug all cabling- any ideas why this is happening?

HP Recommended

Thanks tinuwangiro for a solution that worked for me to slove this problem. Other solutions did not work. BTW, my C5280 locked up after the last "ok" instruction but removing the AC power cord then reattaching fixed lockup.

HP Recommended

Still giving me a prob after the first hp reps advice on the semi-reboot. The alignment page wants to print EVERY time I turn on the printer and it takes like 20 minutes to print it! It says my ink is depleted on the color side (It isnt) --I have just started having this problem. Its served me well for the past so many years--on the scanning, copying and printing--now, it keeps giving me a hard time. I really like this printer, but if this doesnt straighten out, i will NOT be buying another HP printer again. This is not my first HP, but it Will be my last. Any idea what I can do about this?

BTW--To the HP rep, Thank you for posting that! I am hoping that once this alignment page prints, It will be done. However, what do i do if it wants to print another after I restart it? I had left the house with it printing 5 pages of an email. When I returned, it had printed 5 complete pages of page 5. 1 botched page of page 5 and 1 page of the 1st paragraph of page 5. Then, 5 pages of only the first two line of the first paragraph of page 4, then one of only the first line of page 4. I have never seen this happen--on ANY printer. I double checked the status which is always set on print all, one page of each. I looked at the status of the print before I cancelled it and I think it showed something like 7/5 or 5/7 which I assume means 7 copies of all 5 pages. I certainly didnt set it for that.

After the next page alignment (HP owes me a set of XL74 & XL75 inks for the 12+ pages I have had to print over the past 2 days!) I deleted most of the email I wanted to print to one page. That took about 30 minutes to print. After which, it started to print AGAIN~This time, it said 5/1 or whatever. I made sure I checked that it was set to print one copy--I've tried to update the driver, but it says I have the most recent/. I tried to troubleshoot, but it says no probs detected. If I believed in demon possession...right?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.