Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart D110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a new Gateway and have since been unable to print wirelessly using my HP Photosmart D110 printer. The printer recognizes the wireless network and connects to it successfully after running the Wireless Setup Wizard on the touchscreen of the printer, however the printer pulls a 169.254.x.x IP address and the printer then says not connected. This is the only wireless device that is unable to connect/pull a valid ip address on my network out of many devices. The configurating source on the wireless printout shows the configuration source as  Auto IP. My gateway does show the printer connected under connected devices within the gateways gui, though again it is pulling a 169 ip. I also confirmed within the gateways gui that the printers configuration is setup for DHCP and have even tried using a reserve IP for the printer for a range my gateway is using 10.0.0.242 but am having no success.

After troubleshooting I found that I am able to connect the printer wirelessly using the personal hotspot on my cell phone, which gives a Configuration source of DHCP and a valid IP address of 170.20.x.x on the wireless printout. 

I feel I need to manually change the IP address of the D110 printer or change its settings to DHCP so my gateway can recognize it. I cannot think of anything else that would be causing this. When connected to each network, I have tried entering the 169 IP and also the 172 Ip into my web browser though receive page cannot be displayed. Doesnt HP have a local printer gui? Or is that part of the web services option that is no longer available and expired in 2016?

Is there any way to change the IP address on a D110 printer? Is the reason why I cannot login to the printers local ip due to web services no longer being supported? Do you have any other suggestions as to why it is not recognizing DHCP when connected to my gateway? 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@MichaelMotorC, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The IP address to all the devices on the network is assigned by the router. A 169 IP address is not a valid IP address. HP does have a printer's GUI page - the EWS page of the printer. Since the IP address is invalid, you are not able to reach the EWS page of the printer.

A manual IP address can be assigned to the printer using the EWS page of the printer.

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard and select your network.

Check the IP address on the printer.

If it returns with a 169 IP, contact your internet service provider.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Kumar for your response. I am aware that a 169 ip is an invalid IP, an ip assigned to the device from my Gateway when the printer is not locating the network. I have tried rebooting my equipment, restoring the network wizard to its defaults and reconnecting. The D110a printer will recognize my WiFi network but never connects successfully resulting to a 169 ip. I am able to connect the printer via a local WiFi hotspot and also The hotspot from my phone. Both which give me valid ips and I am able to print wirelessly off both but cannot across the EWF page while connected to either hotspot. When I enter the ip of either hot spot in multiple browsers I receive page cannot be displayed.

I figure I can change my IP address if logged into the EWF page which would resolve this, but am having no success. The issue is not with my cable provider. I have several other devices connected to WiFi (29), the printer is the only device not giving a valid up. I feel it’s because the printer is not trying to connect DHCP and is connecting using Auto IP as I originally explained. When i printed out the network diagnostics page while connect to either hotspot it says DHCP with a valid ip. Only when I connect to my personal Gateway I receive the 169. My Gateway I feel is too advanced for the outdated printer. It is an Xfinity XB7. I believe the wireless card in my D110 printer is not communicating as it should due to this.

I have tried even factory restoring my gateway and forgetting all 29 devices on my network , including the printer (even though it is pulling a 169 , it’s still showing connected) just having my printer connect to my WiFi but am having the same results. I tried assigning an IP for the printer within my Gateways GUI but have had no success there as well. For these reasons alone, I assure you there is no problem with my cable service. If I didn’t have so many other devices connected successfully wirelessly in the exact same location as my other devices  I would agree with the suggestion to contact my provider. 

I guess my next questions would be (unless you can take anything else away from anything I just said) would be ... why can’t I access the EWF page when I connected to both my hotspots that list valid IPs , 75.62.xx.xx and 68.90.xx.xx ? and is there any other possible way to access the login to the EWF webpage to change my IP? Can I take the printer to a friends, connect it up to their WiFi, change the IP within the EWF page and take my printer home and the printer keep my settings?

HP Recommended

@KUMAR0307 . This issue is still ongoing. Please read my response from 8/1 

HP Recommended

The printer may not work on a hotspot connection. Did you contact your Internet service provider? 

This is not an issue with the printer. As informed before, the IP address is given to the printer by the modem/router.

You can connect the printer to your friend's network and check if it works, then we can conclude this issue. However, changing the IP address will not work because your modem/router is not assigning a valid IP address to the printer.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KUMAR0307

The printer may not work on a hotspot connection: Can you confirm that please? I am able to connect to both my phone hotspot and also my local wireless hotspot (Xfinity). Both hotspots receive a valid IP and I am able to print wirelessly, however, when I enter the IP of either hotspot from my network print report, I receive page cannot be displayed.

Did you contact your Internet service provider? 

I did. They advised the issue is with the printer as I have 29 other wireless devices connected successfully. 2 TVs, 4 PCs, 1 laptop, 2 Iphones, 1 andriod, 1 tablet, a security system, the list goes on. Other friends/family devices are able to connect to my wireless network and receive a valid IP address successfully too. We have made multiple troubleshooting steps including factory resetting the Gateway. Forgetting all my other 29 wireless devices and having only the printer connected, Setting the printer to use DHCP within the gateways GUI, setting the printer to have a reserve IP using an IP in my DHCP range but am having no success. The Xfinity Xb7 gateway recognizes the printer and it lists it as a connected device but it is unable to grab a valid IP.

This is not an issue with the printer, As informed before, the IP address is given to the printer by the modem/router: We are going to have to disagree here. I would agree If i were having any issues at all with my other 29 devices connected wirelessly and unable to pull a valid IP. If anything as mentioned previously, I feel my new Xfinity Xb7 Gateway is too "advanced" for my outdated D110a HP printer and that the printer doesn't know what to do when trying to grab an IP off the gateway, therefore it assigns the generic IP. The printers DHCP communication with the Gateway needs manually set. The only way this can be done if Im correct, is to login to the printer and change the IP to an IP in my Gateways DHCP range. Once I do this I strongly feel the problem should resolve. Why I need to go through all the trouble to do this, is something that I feel needs addressed with the D110a.

You can connect the printer to your friend's network and check if it works: If this is the only troubleshooting step you can provide. I thank you for your time, I will attempt. 

HP Recommended

@MichaelMotorC

Since we have tried all the steps and the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support in your region for further assistance through one on one interaction and a remote session.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KUMAR0307

I was hoping to receive some type of input from all the time that I have spent typing all of my detailed information to you. Can you see that this issue is escalated or a more senior technician look into my issue, please? Your telling me to reach out to Technical Support in my region for a 12 year old printer and after I’ve given you more information about my issue that I can possibly provide? I can’t take that seriously. I still would really appreciate some of my questions, answered. Specifically if a D110a printer has the ability to access the EWS page from a hotspot. Again, please see someone else take a peek into this DHCP issue and actually take time to read through my issue and answer the questions I have asked. I would really appreciate it. Thank you

HP Recommended

@MichaelMotorC

If the printer is out of warranty, you will have to pay for the support from HP technical support team. There are no other options available. The support options are limited due to the age of this printer. The basic steps have already been tried.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can another tech take a look at this please? Another set of eyes I feel would be beneficial.

Does the D110a have the compatibility to access the EWS page while it’s connected to a hotspot?

Is there ANY other way to adjust settings for my printer so it recognizes DHCP? All-in-all the problem here is the printer is setting itself to AutoIP while only connected to my gateway.

In your opinion why would the printer be the only device that’s not able to receive a valid ip and having these difficulties? Does my explanation of the outdated wireless technology on the printer being old seem like a logical explanation? It has me puzzled how I can connect to the hotspots wirelessly and print wirelessly off it. Again my gateway is a new Xfinity Xb7. They just came out. It’s the most advanced tech available now with the capability Maximum Data Throughput being 2.5 Gbps. Seems like that’s the only thing I can come up with. I know for certain that the wireless card in the printer is not a gigabit wireless card. 

The printer just doesn’t know what to do. It’s never seen such a power house of a device. The printers probably thinking  like “whoa, who are you, here’s an AutoIP, I give up”. 

I still haven’t connected the printer to my friends network to see if I can access the EWS page while connected to it and will follow up once I do so but I would truly appreciate a read through of this issue or atleast answering of these questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.