Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Have an iMac, running the latest OS - Purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8630 - When I attempt to print an envelope the result is an all black envelope - Gone through the steps recommended to 'fix' the all grey envelops, ie. reset the printer, removed the print software, fixed permissions, downloaded 'new' print software, installed printer, restarted my computer - Still prints all black envelope...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Recently upgraded to OS X El Capitan and I can now print envelopes with no problems. I'm guessing that there was an interface problem between printer drivers and the previous OS...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @PetersonAH,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that you are getting an all black envelope when printing with your HP Officejet Pro 8630. I am happy to help you with this issue!

When you print using regular size paper does it also come out black? What program are you using to print on your envelope?

In the meantime, please take a look through this guide, Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-One..., and let me know what what happens!

Hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem - using Yosemite 10.10.3.  It print ENVELOPES solid black (the whole envelope is covered with black ink) -- regular pages, documents, print fine.  The page you send us to doesn't address this problem. 

HP Recommended

Hi ceemr,

When you print with regular size paper does it also come out solid black? Or just the envelopes? What program are you using to print with?

In the meantime, I would also suggest resetting the print system, and verifying and repair disk permissions.

Once I have this information, I'll be happy to look into this further for you!

Hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I generated the envelope using Microsoft Word - I am running on an iMac with the latest OS - Printing all other documents, works just fine - If I print an envelope with plain paper, it prints an all black envelope size blotch on the right side of the paper - I have reset the print system and verified disk permissions - I also uninstalled the printer, re-installed the printer and deleted the HP software and downloaded and installed the latest software...

HP Recommended

It's been a couple of weeks...  Notice that others also have the problem... Any suggestions...

HP Recommended

Hi ceemr, and PetersonAHm,

Thank you for your replies!  

What happens when you try printing an Envelope with the program TextEdit? Does it still print solid black?

Please make sure the Mac is up-to-date. OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Update.

You can also try the AirPrint driver as well, to see if that makes any difference. If you are already using the AirPrint driver try using the HP Driver instead. (substitute Photosmart Premium c310 as shown in the second image below for your printer the HP Officejet Pro 8630, this was an example I used.)

Click the Apple icon, and then System Preferences, and Print & Scan.

airprint.jpg

airprint2.jpg

Hope this is helpful, and have a good day! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Just bought a HP 8620. Updated drivers. Macbook Pro Yosemite 10.10.5 I try to print an envlope from my Contacts.app and get a solid black envelope. Not too helpful, not to mention wasting ink.

What is the resolve here. Not a permissions problem, have the current driver 3.1 from the Apple Update (HP Inkjet 3 Driver 4.1.1).  Help.

This was never a problem with my old Epson CX9400 printing envelopes from the Contacts.app

I am dead in the water here with HP. 

HP Recommended

Hi leroydouglas,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

If you have tried all the previous steps, that I had posted, and they did not resolve your issue. Please contact HP, phone support for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have an HP 8620, and have the same problem on envelopes, and also 4x6 cards.  I have wasted so many envelopes!  I somehow can get it to work intermittently, so when I think I have it, I try printing more, and the printer screws up the next two, before I can cancel... very frustrating.  

Also, my ADF does not feed.  It pulls the paper only from one side, and jams halfway through the feed.  This printer is terrible!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.