Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7134
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

My new printer is successfully set up and the HP interface says that both cartridges are functioning. However I cannot get it to print OR copy anything in colour – only black and white. I have a Mac OS 11.6. 

I have already checked the Printer settings in the system preferences, and I went through the process of removing and then re-adding the printer, to make sure it wasn't just a driver issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You need to contact Hp Support directly in your country:
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp

Regards!

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @SGthoth .

Update the printer firmware:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/EN7100_2143A/EN7100_2143A.dmg

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor is open, click Start, and then choose your printer.
    • If your printer is not listed, turn it on and click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in the tool.
  3. Click Fix Printing.

If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

I opened and verified the HP Firmware Updater but Apple will not open it because it cannot be checked for malicious software. The error message says "this software needs to be updated" and I should contact the developer for more information.

Meanwhile your own HP website says that the problem is not to do with the driver because I can't *copy* in colour either. 

For the same problem, the Virtual Agent has sent me into the printer settings to recalibrate  but the recalibration was "not successful". It directed me to clean the cartridges but that made no difference.

NB I am using HP cartridges.

HP Recommended

@SGthoth .

Clear the error by resetting the printer without the ink cartridges.

1. Open the cartridge access door or lid.

• If the carriage moves to the center of the printer, continue with these steps.

• If the carriage does not move to the center of the printer, close the access door or lid. Disconnect the power cord from the printer and power source, wait 60 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the printer and a wall outlet. Turn the printer on, and then continue with these steps.

2. Remove the cartridges.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

5. Wait 60 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

7. Turn the printer on.

8. Reinsert the cartridges, and then close the cartridge access door or lid.

9. Follow the steps to align the printer, if prompted.

Regarding the cleaning of the cartridge(s), you can follow the instructions in the following link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-photo-7100-all-in-one-printer-series/9073119/model/1649...

HP Recommended

I should let you know that the ink cartridges do NOT move to the centre of the printer –  I did follow your instructions and tried twice. They stay on the right-hand side. I wonder– perhaps this is to do with the model? I have had this model for some years (a different machine but same model) and I don't remember the cartidges moving to the centre before now either.

Anyhow... I proceeded anyway to remove the cartridges and follow your procedure and tried another print quality diagnostic but the alignment is still "unsuccessful" and the problem remains.

Also – possibly not related but I am sharing everything just in case– when I tried to resolve the problem using another set of HP cartridges which I had spare (fresh from their wrappings) I got a message saying the printer could only use one set of cartridges at a time. So I couldn't switch!

HP Recommended

@SGthoth Thank you for notifying us.
What country/city are you contacting us from?

HP Recommended

London UK

HP Recommended

Also, I tried using the HP SMart 'diagnose and Fix" and it tells me "Print Queue Issue is not fixed" but there is no print queue or issue.

HP Recommended

@SGthoth Try the following video and see if you notice any change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_aYuvLuTU

HP Recommended

I have done what you suggest but it does not resolve the problem – there is still not printing in colour. And I had in fact already removed and then (re)added the printer previously, also without successfully resolving the problem.

Now what?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.