Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have tried EVERYTHING to resolve this issue. I cannot find a phone # to HP support. Please someone help me!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @TracyL23,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an Error message 79 issue with your HP Product.  Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

• May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Please share your printer model. 

In another thread that helped resolve the another user's 79 issue. Their printer was laserjet m234.You might want to try these steps :- 

1. Turn off the printer
  2. Remove the toner cartridge from the printer
  3. Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the printer again. Printer will show Er07 indicating missing cartridge. Now insert the toner cartridge. 
  5. Error should go away and the printer is ready for printing.
HP Recommended

HP LaserJet M234sdwe

HP Recommended

Hi @TracyL23,

Thank you for your reply, 

The error code 79 on an HP LaserJet printer typically indicates a firmware error. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot:

• Restart the Printer: Turn off the printer, wait for a few moments, and then turn it back on. Sometimes, this simple step can clear out temporary errors.
  • Update Firmware: Check if there's a firmware update available for your printer model on the HP website. If there is, download and install it according to the provided instructions. Firmware updates often fix known issues and bugs. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Check for Print Queue Issues: If the error occurs when printing from a computer, there might be a problem with the print job itself. Clear the print queue on the computer and try printing again.
  • Disconnect Network Cables: If the printer is connected to a network, disconnect the network cables and try printing a configuration page directly from the printer's control panel. This can help determine if the issue is related to the network or the printer itself.
  • Factory Reset: As a last resort, you can perform a factory reset on the printer to revert it to its default settings. Be aware that this will erase any custom settings and configurations.

refer to this document : HP LaserJet Pro - 79 Errors 

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi TracyL23, please try these steps and let me know if they work.

1. Turn off the printer
  2. Remove the toner cartridge from the printer
  3. Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the printer again. Printer will show Er07 indicating missing cartridge. Now insert the toner cartridge. 
  5. Error should go away and the printer is ready for printing.
HP Recommended

Hi TracyL23,

Maybe you could try below steps and see if the issue could be resolved.  

• If possible, use ethernet connection. 
  • If printer is connected with wireless, please follow below steps:
    1. Turn off the printer, remove the toner cartridge from the printer, and then wait for 30 seconds.
    2. Turn on the printer. After ER07 is shown on control panel, insert the toner cartridge.
    3. The printer should go back to the Ready mode.
    4. Press the Information button  to print the Printer Information Report. The report contains the printer IP address and printer PIN.
    5. Open a web browser from computer/mobile device in same network, enter the printer IP address to access the EWS page.
    6. Click Networking, and enter ‘admin’ as printer user name, printer PIN as password when pop window showing up. 
    7. Go to Advanced at the left panel menu,  uncheck IPv6, and then click Apply at the right-bottom of the page.
    8. Close the EWS page. The printer should recover now.
    9. If Er79 occurs again, follow step 1-2 to recover the printer.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.