Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8625
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My printer screen constantly displays a paper jam in ADF. I can not get rid of this message. I have tried everything HP has suggested to no avail! This seems to be a common problem with this printer. Can anyone even tell me where the sensor for this error is located???

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi @callmephil1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and want to assist you. I understand you are getting false paper jam error message on your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you checked for any obstructions inside the printer?

Have you tried to clean the cartridge contacts as well as the rollers?

Are you able to move the carriage freely?

Are you able to make a copy or print a test page from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update from our HP support website -  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj8620/OJP8620_R1733A.exe

Next thing, I would suggest here is to follow all the steps suggested in the support document for -  An ADF Paper Jam Error Displays on the HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-On...

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I would like to do what you suggested in your email but am unable to since I can not clear my printer screen to allow that. As soon as I touch OK, the message comes back before I am able to act. Is there another way to do what you suggested. And once again, if not can you explain to me where the sensor is in the ADF. I am technically capable in pursuing that aspect.

Again, TY and I lok forward to your reply.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact problem.

HP Recommended

The screen says Paper Jam

The original is jammed in the automatic document feeder

(ADF)

Open ADF cover, remove and reload the original and 

then try again.

Ok, so there is no paper jam. There is no paper in it. If I hit OK, the grears rotate and then the screen comes up again within a couple seconds. 

Unplugging or turning off for over a minute does not work.

I pushed other paper through to see if there was anything stuck in and there was no problem.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with adf error.

There aren't any obstructions in the feeder, duplex unit, trays or anywhere inside the printer.

I have cleaned the cartridge contacts and rollers. I've blown compressed air on every part.

The carriage moves.

I can't make a copy because the error prevents the printer from working.

I can't get to the screen to perform suggested fixes.

The newest problem is that it will put up an "Error" screen with all lights flashing. States to turn off / on; error is there when it powers back up.

The power shutdown did not work.

The article referenced is no longer available online. 

Can you send me the hard / master / reset fix you mentioned for the other user.

Help! Please... otherwise I'll have to buy a new printer and it won't be an HP. 😉

HP Recommended

I'm wondering if you found a fix? I'm having the same problem...

HP Recommended

Did you ever get this problem solved?

I did not.  I've been using my printer just as a printer for a couple of months now and cannot copy or scan.  I would also like to know how to do a "hard reset" or something more significant to shake up to dead brain of my priinter tha just unplugging it for a minute or more, or a day or two, but I've never seen a description of exactly what that is. 

Like other more recent posters, I cannot access the screen on my printer because the error message "overwhelms" all else.  I haven't yet caved in to buying a new printer.

HP Recommended

I got the same issue - I have posted on other threads. The HP support is not helpful, but will gladly run you through the exact same time consuming process that doesn't work then they give up on you.

HOWEVER, I had this issue last year, and I unplugged the printer for a week. It worked.

Five months later the problem recurred. I unplugged for three days. It did not work. I thought it was unfixable. Last week we went on a vacation and I unplugged it again for 5 days. Alll I can say is this morning --- It's working. I am not getting the ADF screen.

I did notice that when I ran a scan through the auto feeder I got the problem. So, now I am just using the flatbed.

Cheers

HP Recommended

I have unplugged printer for days and done all the other cleaning tips and more.  No solution.
The ADF jam message, while there is no jam, renders the scanner useless.  I cannot scan ANYTHING either one page at a time or using the ADF.

I think HP's software focus is on forcing us to buy more ink than anything else.  Cyan cartridge getting low?  Well, you have to replace that cartidge before printer will allow pringing in black ink only....although it did give me several days of grayscale printing before shutting that off, too.  There MIGHT even be a legit reason for that, but I somewhat doubt it.

Why can't the software allow one page at a time scanning or copying, which doesn't use the ADF? 

I think if you're not buying new ink they're not worried about you.  Of course, no new replacment printer uses the same ink that I have.

Next printer will not be an HP.  They've become like Comcast in my mind (which is about the worst insult I can hurl at a company). 

I miss the old days when the engineers ran the show and focus was more on products that worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.