Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
M234sdwe
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Just finished a rather lengthy session with HP support.  I use an iMac--been using HP laser printers since the 1990s.  NEVER AGAIN.  When I updated by HP Smart program last week responding to a update flag on my Mac, suddenly the printer stopped working.  It showed that it was not connected to the internet.   This is not correct.  It was continuing to use what was left in an "HP Instant Ink" cartridge--but I had left the program.  Everything was fine until HP made some change in its Smart app that detects additional information about the cartridge and then cut off the user by blocking the printer from accessing the internet (which blocks the use of the printer).   Now, apparently, HP has also added a "feature" so that even if one opens the blanked out USB port and run the printer on a USB cable IT WON'T WORK UNLESS THE INTERNET CONNECTION IS OPENED--AND IT CAN MONITOR THE CARTRIDGE USE.    This is outrageous--and as HP did not advise purchasers of this MFP that they would be bound to use HP cartridges on HP's terms, it is probably illegal.   As it also damages businesses that compete with remanufactured cartridges, it is likely an anti-trust violation.   Right now, I'd like to take this printer down to their corporate HQ and toss it through the nearest large window.  They are now crook obviously run by their marketing department.  I will be telling everyone I know NEVER BUY HP.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jon91, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand your concern. It seems like you have selected/activated HP+ during the printer setup. if yes, then it requires you to use HP ink cartridges and an internet connection.

Kindly refer to this document for more info. it is all documented here. This is not a mandate, it is a choice made by the customer at the time of setup.

Hope this answers your concern. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.