Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Yes, I have a HP 4650 Inkjet Printer that won't turn on. I just replaced the power module, but all it will do when plugged in is the touchscreen flashes once & that's it. I tested my power module, & it did have the 32DCV/12DCV. I'm thinking it may be the logic board now, or maybe a ribbon cable not connect well. Any thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @mccainworld,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series is not turning on despite the power module providing the correct voltage, the issue could be related to the logic board or a loose ribbon cable. 

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

Check All Connections:

• Ensure all ribbon cables and connectors are properly seated. Sometimes a loose connection can prevent the printer from powering on.

Inspect the Logic Board:

• Look for any obvious signs of damage on the logic board, such as burnt components, damaged traces, or leaking capacitors.
  • If you have a multimeter, you can check for continuity and ensure that power is reaching the board.

Test the Power Button:

• Sometimes the power button itself can be faulty. Make sure the power button is functioning correctly and that it is making proper contact with the logic board.

Reset the Printer:

• Disconnect the printer from the power source.
  • Wait for about 60 seconds.
  • Plug the printer back in and try to turn it on.

Firmware/Software Issue: Update the firmware on an HP printer

• In some cases, a firmware issue might cause the printer not to power on. This is less common if the printer doesn't power up at all, but if it powers on briefly and then shuts down, it could be a possibility.

Check for Short Circuits:

• Inspect the printer for any possible short circuits that might be preventing it from powering on. This includes checking for any debris or foreign objects inside the printer that could be causing a short.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's likely that the logic board is faulty and may need to be replaced. Here’s a detailed guide on how to proceed:

Detailed Troubleshooting Steps:

Ensure Proper Power Supply:

• Double-check the power supply with a multimeter to confirm it's delivering the correct voltage under load. Sometimes power supplies can show the correct voltage without a load but fail under actual operating conditions.

Visual Inspection:

• Open the printer carefully and inspect the logic board and internal components for any visible damage, such as burnt components, corrosion, or disconnected cables.

Reconnect Ribbon Cables:

• Carefully disconnect and reconnect all ribbon cables to ensure they are seated correctly. Sometimes, reseating these cables can solve the problem.

Test Power Button:

• Use a multimeter to test the continuity of the power button to ensure it's working correctly.

Try an Alternative Power Source:

• If possible, try plugging the printer into a different power outlet to rule out issues with the power source.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series

HP printer does not turn on

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.