Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The "automatic" duplex printing for my HP 4650 is not working.  I have settings set to duplex two-sided, as one would assume should work.  I am consistently asked to put the paper back into the tray vs. duplex printing automatically. My husband's computer prints automatic duplex just fine and his settings look the same as mine.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I will also advise that on my device settings, the "Automatic Duplexing Unit" does NOT stay installed.  I go to Automatic Configurations and click "Update Now" and then it shows as installed, BUT ... it goes right back to "Not Installed" everytime I print something.  

HP Recommended

Please go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Officejet 4650, select Printer Properties, Device Settings, set the Automatic Duplexing Unit to Installed, Apply, OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Per my original post, I have already done this.  Thank you, however.  

HP Recommended

I may have misunderstood, you indicated you had used the automatic configuration to set the options.  I am suggesting you manually set the duplexer to installed.  Have you tried manually setting the duplexer to installed?

You may need to do this as a user with administrative capability.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My properties say Automatic Duplexing Unit Installed but whenever I try to print something that I want to duplex it wants me to do it manually.  I have another computer using the same printer and it works like it should.

HP Recommended

With Administrator account it does NOT get installed. If you reinstall the driver with USB everything works, but it will NOT work with the 4650 with wireless.

It was working since 2017 (when the driver was issued), but it stopped working after the last Windows 10 update.

HP needs to issue a new driver to work with Windows 10 as this has happened before with this driver.

The duplexer can't be manually set...end of story.

ADENDUM

I am updating my response.

After the most recent Windows 10 updates (March 12,2019), I decided to UNinstall the HP driver for the Officejet 4650 from the root (not sure if that was necessary, but to be sure I utilized that method). I rebooted and REinstalled the downloaded HP driver. Installation went fine, however, it showed that I had a "Microsoft IPP Printer", once I changed to the HP driver in Properties, it showed the duplexing installed and printed in colour.

IMHO the problem was the previous Windows 10 update version that broke the HP driver, as this is not the first time this has happened.

Hope this revised update will be of some help.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@joezyx wrote:

My properties say Automatic Duplexing Unit Installed but whenever I try to print something that I want to duplex it wants me to do it manually.  I have another computer using the same printer and it works like it should.

What operating system?  I would suggest installing the most recent driver from HP here.  (Assuming you have an Officejet 4650 printer.)

Once the driver is installed (assuming Windows) go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Officejet 4650, select Printer Properties, Device Settings, Automatic Duplex Unit, select Installed, Apply, click the General tab, Preferences, Layout, Print on Both Sides, Long Edge, Apply, OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thank you, that solved the problem.  While having this problem if you clicked on Properties in the Print dialog box, then clicked on the Printing Shortcut tab and selected Two Sided (Duplex) Printing, what it said on the bottom right hand side was Print on Both Sides Manually.  And then gave you the options of None, Flip on Long Edge, Flip on Short Edge.  The problem was the word "Manually" as that is what it will do, only manual printing on both sides which you can do with any printer if you really wish.  Now it simply says Print on Both Sides (without the word Manually) and gives you the options. But this 4650 is supposed to, and had in the past, done the 2-sided printing automatically.  After trying many other things your above post resolved it.  One would think that installing the driver would set this up automatically and I know when I originally installed this printer it did just that since I did not have this trouble.  Something in the latest Windows 10 update discombobulated things I believe so that even reinstalling the latest printer software does not resolve the problem. 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I should add that Bob's post of 03-12-2019 12:04 PM is what resolved the problem.  Also you reach the Devices and Printers folder through the old Control Panel app (just type control panel into the search at bottom left).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.