Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser jet Pro MFP M281CDW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All was working fine until on printer display pop for upgrade and I chose to do it, right after that start getting "Supply Problem" error and won't print. Automatic diagnosis said "Print queue issue is not fixed" but printer display shows "Supply Problem". Did that software upgrade now protecting for me to use cheaper brand Toner? I even put a brand new set of Toners and the same issue. Always use aftermarket toner and no issue.

Need immediate help,

I have chosen to buy compatible aftermarket toner in lieu of spending ridiculous prices for genuine 

HP Toner. I got this error after HP update some software on the printer how to get around it.

I already have done the hard reset and installed newer firmware. 

If somebody can please help me with this situation I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, I will never use hp product at all. Since my warranty expired I cannot even talk to a live person about this kind of issue is really a joke!  

Please help ASAP. Needs to print asap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks to  Andy_p2  for his steps, I had struggled some but here are my steps, may help someone, since HP will not support or live answer their customer. Since HP is the culprit here by updating the firmware to block all users who use after-market toners, I believe. I downgrade firmware driver with this version and it worked. HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612

Worked:

Steps:

• on the printer, go into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates
    • set Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes
  • on the pc, locate and download (HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612) and run
  • Point that to your printer, mine took few times since my printer connected wifi.
  • After downgrade 
  • on the printer, go into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates
    • set Allow Updates = no (so the firmware doesn't auto-update and break compatibility again)

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
HP Recommended

Thanks to  Andy_p2  for his steps, I had struggled some but here are my steps, may help someone, since HP will not support or live answer their customer. Since HP is the culprit here by updating the firmware to block all users who use after-market toners, I believe. I downgrade firmware driver with this version and it worked. HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612

Worked:

Steps:

• set Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes
  • on the pc, locate and download (HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612) and run
  • Point that to your printer, mine took few times since my printer connected wifi.
  • After downgrade 
    • set Allow Updates = no (so the firmware doesn't auto-update and break compatibility again)

HP Recommended

I am having a very similar issue but it’s made worse because I’m also having the Service Error 49 crash loop that occurs shortly after the printer boots up.  I was able to complete a factory reset and it appears to be more stable as long as I don’t connect to a wireless network.  Every time I do that it crashes within a few seconds.  I like the idea of rolling back the new firmware update but I cannot find the file for 20200612.  This is so frustrating!

HP Recommended

@JWK21, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

There is no option to downgrade the printer firmware.

Kindly follow the steps mentioned in this document to resolve this issue - Troubleshooting 49.XXXX Errors

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thats funny because thats the firmware causing the issues bhahahahahah

HP Recommended

This item is not "Solved" as of 6 November 2020. I accepted the update on my printer and it has the same "Supply Problem" and is stuck in an endless loop with a Error 79 now rebooting my printer before I can do anything to try to fix it. Extremely frustrating, HP! 

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307 - my mistake on the error code: I am having issues with a 79 Service Error and frankly NONE of the fixes found online have done anything to fix the issue on my M281cdw.

I accepted the firmware update and that started the crash/restart loop immediately.  I was able to reset to factory settings (which even took several attempts because it would crash/restart before I could).  This seemed to help a bit as it appeared to be more stable, albeit with the supply issue error.  Unfortunately, the problem persists when I connect to a wifi network OR plug an ethernet cable in as the crash/restart loop would start within seconds.

At this point I have a useless paperweight all because the firmware update was accepted.  This is a horrible business practice for HP to brick my printer and NOT support resolution of the issue.

I understand that I have one or two ink cartridges that need to be replaced with genuine HP ink to avoid the supply issue error, but I have no confidence that the crash/reboot issue will not persist.  Why would I dump $200 more into this when I am not sure that it will work?  I might as well just buy a new printer that I know will work and cut my losses.  Time to look at other brands, I guess because this is horrible from HP.

HP Recommended

Atdallas thank you for the tips.  I am not able to find "HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612"  Where did you download it from?

HP Recommended

For anyone who cannot find the link to the old firmware, I just got off the phone with HP tech support and got the link. Here you guys go: [content removed.]

HP Recommended

I keep sending the update over and nothing is happening. Am I missing a step on deleting the new firmware? This is terrible practice for hp. thanks for your help! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.