Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP Envy 4520 will not print in color as of yesterday. I have gone through all troubleshooting tools, and when I try to change the settings in the Paper/Quality tab, there is NO option for color/grayscale. This is very frustrating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Contact HP using this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Follow these steps to remove and reinstall the HP software/hardware.
1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
2.) Select your HP Printer
3.) Select Uninstall
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer.

If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'
6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: the space between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab
9.) Look for HP Printer driver.

If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
10.) Select Ok
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart your computer 
14.) Download and install your printer software from the below link.
http://hp.care/2nikIQ9
15.) Connect the USB cable ONLY when prompted and follow the on screen instructions to install the software.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Nope... still only printing in black and white. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Give the built-in 4500 Series Class Driver a try.

HP Recommended

My computer can't find the printer when I use the 4500 driver.

HP Recommended

Contact HP using this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

HP Recommended
Thanks for all your help!
HP Recommended

Update your drivers......

Device Manager > Printers > Your Printer

Right click on printer

Update driver

HP Recommended

I've tried all of these suggestions several times. I also have trouble with auto duplex printing. I think I found a sloution that seems to be working fine and is stable. Change your HP Envy Printer Dirver to the HP Envy 4500 Series. I'm in Windows 10, 64 bit but it should be the same in 32 bit.

1. Open Control Panel by typing Control Panel in the Cortana search box.  Choose Devices and Printers.

2. Right Click on your HP Envy printer and select Printer Properties

3. In properties click on the Advanced tab

4. Now click on New Driver then click Next in the popup window

5. In the next dialogue window choose HP in the left pane then scroll down to find HP Envy 4500 series Class Driver (they're in alphabetical order so the HP Envy drivers are just after the Deskjets).

6. Choose Next, Apply and Close

After many frustrating hours and several calls to HP Support, this seems to have solved my problem. Duplex works fine, color printing works fine and the driver now displays the option to print in Grayscale or Color.

HP Recommended

Where is the solution?

HP Envy wont print in color

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.