Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
iOS

Just purchased a HP Envy 4520 printer. Set it up on our Wi-Fi network (IP address 10.1.2.104). Can print ok from Windows 10 PC. But when printing a photo from iPhone 7+ iOS 11 (IP Address 10.1.2.101) it doesn't work. I go in to Photos, select the photo, go to share, select print.  It finds the HP Envy printer, and I select print. A popup saying contacting printer appears. Nothing prints. The popup times out and in the IPhone Print Centre is finally comes back and says the printer is offline. But it isn't, I can print from my PC ok.

I use my web browser and go to the printer (10.1.2.104) and to (http://10.1.2.104/#hId-pgNetworkSummary). There is an AirPrint option.  But when I click on Status it tries to go to a secure site (https://10.1.2.104/#hId-pgAirPrint). Which of course doesn't exist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Got it sorted. Turned off IP6 on the printer. Nothing else on the printer and nothing on the iOS devices. And it worked.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with all my ios 11 devices connecting to my HP officejet 5740 all in one.  ios 10 worked ok.  Finally got it to work by making sure the printer had the latest firmware and then doing a restore factory settings.  When it rebooted, I turned off IVP6, reconfigured my wi-fi from the control displace on the printer and low and behold, airprint works again.  Even that illusive https page that would not come up now comes up and I can see the stuff hidden behind the https embedded server.  

Hope that helps you.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that information which proves my point about what Apple has done. While I'm slightly above average on device connectivity, I'm not in that top 1% like you obviously are. I have no idea how to reconfigure my wi fi and etc., that I don't understand. My HP 4512 is in a vehicle but not connected to the internet (therefore cannot update device drivers). It only is to communicate with my iPad via my router (also in the vehicle) which only serves to facilitate my bluetooth print commands to the printer...well thats what it used to do...quite well before my ill-fated IOS upgrade. It will likely be less hassle to just go buy a new printer, probably a Canon.

HP Recommended

Oh, by no means am I in that top 1% either. There doesn’t appear to be a new firmware available for your model so just try doing a factory reset with what firmware is already present. My firmware is two years old as there was no update for it either. 

On my printer screen (officejet 5740) it was under settings>printer maintenance>restore>restore factory defaults.

the ipv6 I turned off was under setup>network setup>wireless settings>advanced settings.

Then configure wireless to your router as you did before.

i hope that helps.

HP Recommended
Thanks, I will definitely try that!
HP Recommended
Hp envoy 4510. iOS 11 killed WiFi direct (AirPrint).
Simply reset the PRINTER using the update button in the setup menu. Then try printing from the phone using WiFi direct. I
The phone will display a warning that the printer appears to be different using the same name. Hit allow on the phone, and it prints. This is a blast from the bad old days of windows ME and vista. You can’t uninstall a printer from iPhone, but you can fake it out and get it to replace the fragged image damaged by the iOS 11 update a pix on hp and Apple for letting this happen.
HP Recommended

The factory reset did NOT work, but thank you anyway.

HP Recommended

The factory reset did NOT work, but thanks anyway.

HP Recommended
Sorry. Restoring printer to factory Worked here. I do note the first print job after turning on the printer and setting iPhone WiFi to printer takes a bit. It’s several seconds of the contacting the printer message, then the printer comes to life. I was nearly fooled the next day by the delay.
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting that fix - worked perfectly for me on HP Envy 7640.

i have taken the liberty of re-posting on the Apple forums (with due credit to you!) where there are a lot of people with this problem, as you can imagine!

again, many thanks.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.