Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I found lots of advice on the internet, but the ONLY thing that worked was to reinstall from the disk that came with my printer. The disk says it's Version 36.0. I do not know if the software had been updated or if it was a problem with a Windows 10 update. I can say for sure that reinstalling solved the problem.

Wilfred F. Hatch
WilfredHatch@gmail.com
HP Recommended

I assumed this would be patched by now. Just wasted some of my instant ink subscription to find out. 

Installation from CD is not an option as I didn't keep it. Does anyone have an .iso that they could upload? 

HP Recommended

After a couple of hours fiddling and more wasted pages I have come across a solution that has worked for me.

Uninstall the HP drivers and bloatware, go to devices and printers in the control panel, add printer, select "HP ENVY 5540" and allow windows to install the drivers from Microsoft. I now have colour as an option in printing preferences and am able to print colour.

Do not install HP basic drivers over the Microsoft ones this will break it again. 

HP Recommended

Hi - if you still are having issues, as when reading through all the below none helped - I spoke to a HP person on Messenger and they advised the following which did work!

"I think there could be some issues with the drivers installed. Let's try using the Windows built-in drivers. This may fix the issue. First, let's remove the previous drivers installed. In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and open 'Programs' or 'Programs and features' and select 'Uninstall a Program'. Select your HP Printer. Select Uninstall. In Windows, search for 'Control Panel' and look for 'View devices and printers' option under 'Hardware and Sound'. In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'. Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) Click on the "Drivers" tab. Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom. Select Ok. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. Close Devices and Printers. Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files. Restart the computer. Obtain the IP address of the printer by pressing the wireless icon on the control panel of your printer. Now on your windows, go to control panel > Devices and printers > Add a Printer > Select 'The Printer that I want isn't listed'. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname' In the following screen, enter the IP address of the printer. Uncheck the box which says 'Query the printer and automatically, select the driver to use' In the following screen, select the driver i.e. please select the manufacturer as 'HP' and select the printer from the list. If your printer model is unavailable, select 'HP Officejet pro 8600 class driver' and click next. Rename the printer as 'HP Envy 5540' and click next. Click next and finish the installation. Try to print again. Check if this helps."

HP Recommended

This method worked for me too, and I want to thank all who have posted their remedies to the problem, because without them I wouldn’t have been able to fix the my printing issues!

Thank you  all!

HP Recommended

Hey 

My first thought would be, when you go to the uninstall tab, right click and select “Run as administrator “

HP Recommended

I’ve just googled “how to uninstall apps as an administrator” and there are several suggestions. Not sure this route will work but based on the error message that would be the direction I would try. Best of luck 

HP Recommended

Good work Kee14 👏👏

HP Recommended

My desktop recently "developed" this problem.
Just in case anyone from HP is listening, and would care evidences which would solve problems: I did the driver reinstallation (both from Microsoft, and from HP), but it did not help when the printer is connected to the network. However the option came back immediately when I connected the printer through USB and changed the port!
Now switching back to network, the option to choose color or B&W disappeared again.

So guys at HP, go further along this in your investigation what went wrong...

(Tonight I will try to go back with the original CD - if I still find it)

HP Recommended

In a different forum window I just got the following recommendations from @Mans  (Need to try it later on):

To address this incident, please follow the following procedure:
1. Uninstall printing software:

1. Unplug the USB cable at the back of the printer, if necessary.
  2. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  3. Type appwiz.cpl, then OK. The Programs and Features window opens.
  4. Click the right mouse button on HP ENVY 5540 series Basic Software, then Uninstall and Yes.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall of the printer.
  6. Restart the computer.

2. Launch the registry editor:

1. On the keyboard, simultaneously tap the Windows flag and the R key. The Run window opens.
  2. Type regedit, then OK. The registry editor opens.
  3. Develop HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, click with the right mouse button on Hewlett-Packard and Delete. (If the PC is HP-branded, develop Hewlett-Packard and remove Digital Imaging)

3. Delete the HP ENVY 5540 series folder in the way:

• C: \Program Files\HP
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

4. Rename folder 3 in 3_old in the path below (a restart may be required):

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64.
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86.

NOTE: If the file refuses this action do as follows:

• On the keyboard, tap the Windows and R keys simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  • Type net stop spooler, then press OK.
  • Rename the file.
  • Type net start spooler, then tap OK.

5. Start a new printer installation with HP ENVY 5540 series Full Software and Drivers.

If the issue persists, configure a new port as follows:

1. On the keyboard, press the Windows logo key and the R key simultaneously. The Run window opens.
  2. Type control printers, then press Enter. The Devices and Printers window opens.
  3. Right-click on your printer icon, then click on Printer properties, click on the Ports tab, and click on Add Port....
  4. Select Standard TCP/IP Port and click New Port....
  5. Click Next, then enter the printer's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.97) in the Printer Name or IP Address field and click Next.
  6. Once the port is added, click Finish and close all windows.
  7. Try to print.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.