Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

If I make a copy directly from the printer (all-in-one) it copies just fine, but I have been unable to print in color from my Windows 10 computer (tried several apps - Acrobat, Chrome, OpenOffice) or my iPhone.  It prints, just in grayscale.

Already confirmed that grayscale is not checked. I ran HP Print and Scan Doctor and it said it corrected a Port Match issue. Then when I clicked "Test Print," nothing printed. So I clicked "No Print," and it locked up.

I had previously tried reinstalling the HP software on my PC, and downloaded a new driver. Rebooted, didn't help.

Since printing from iPhone has the same issue, I don't think the problem is with my PC.

Some history - this all started after I installed a new color ink cartridge since the previous one had failed. AND, we have recently installed Google Fiber as our internet provider.

So is this a problem with the printer settings or the wireless network?

Can anyone help me resolve this? Printer is out of warranty.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@FRe2bfree, thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

I apologize for the inconvenience the link I provided did not work for you.

Please find the link download the full feature software.

Note: use internet explorer to download the file.

Let me know if it works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @FRe2bfree, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that your printer will not print in color from any wireless device however when you make a copy the copy works fine.

Did you make any changes on your printer or on your PC?

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

Uninstall the printer from programs and features from the control panel.

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.

Click on print server properties.

You will get a popup, click on the driver's tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Update the firmware on the printer using the control panel on the printer. (Will require the printer to be connected to your wireless network.)

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again.

Please update the full feature printer software using this link.

Note: Connect your printer only when the installation prompts you.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay - finally got time to work on this. I uninstalled HP software, deleted the drivers, deleted the temp files, and deleted most of the HP items in the registry.  I've rebooted, but the link you provided for the full feature printer software ends in a 404 Server not found error. Can you provide another path to the software? Thanks

HP Recommended

@FRe2bfree, thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

I apologize for the inconvenience the link I provided did not work for you.

Please find the link download the full feature software.

Note: use internet explorer to download the file.

Let me know if it works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It worked! Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Hi @FRe2bfree! You're welcome and thanks for your response,

I am glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Since you say "copying" is OK from the glass screen on top meaning  apparently produces a color print?

Apparently this was resolved with the Link (?) provided, which I suppose had you reinstall the current software for your computer.  You don't indicate if you have tried IE or Edge, both of which are on Win 10.  I've started using Edge.Also, the new color cartridge could be defective or not installed correctly.  When the cartridge is just installed it has you run a test page.  Did it print color or not at all?   I assume it ran a test page.

So the printer default is color, but your settings for printing in your document that you are trying could be set as B&W as default.  I have reset mine that way so as not to have to reset it for ordinary documents to save color.

The printer settings for Word for example are found in the File > Print in upper left of the ducument when it's open on the screen.  In the popup that appears, click on Properties and then Paper/Quality.  There you find settings for B&W and color.  If B&W is now checked, that is default.  If you want color, click on color then click OK and back out to the print command in the popup.  Now documents will always print in color, unless you change it.  If calor is default and to print B& W once, do not click ok and the default will not change.

HP Recommended

The link provided by another responder doesn't work, so I don't know what it had you do. 

The software is available at any time on the following link.  In fact, sometimes just reinstalling it resolves many issues. 

Go to 123.HP.com while both your computer and printer are turned on (modem also).  It automatically finds your particular computer (smart phone, tablet, etc.) and downloads/installs the most current softward.   At which time, It should work fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.