Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 3050a

I thought my black ink had run out as documents were printing patchy but it's showing as 75% full. I cleaned the ink cartridge and now they come out grey but when i try to photocopy black text it's blank. Help! 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @Debbiebosh

Have you tried checking with a different ink cartridge?

Reset the printer and check the power source

Reset the printer to clear certain error states by calibrating the scanner mechanism, and then check the power source to confirm the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

4. If you previously connected the power cord to a power strip or multi-plug outlet adapter, reconnect the cord directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer is getting enough power.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer.

6. If you have an HP DeskJet 3700 series printer, calibrate the scanner after resetting the printer.

7. Load the original document or photo, and then start a copy job.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer power cord to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

Refer this article to know more information about copy quality issues. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please share us few details through a private message. So I can check the account details and ship you the replacement ink cartridges.

Instant ink account number-

Instant ink email address-

Shipping address-

Refer this article to know more information about print quality issues with the printer.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried your suggestions but the black ink still isn't working. I have copied a page and the colours came out but the black came out very pale grey. 

I am reluctant to buy another cartridge in case it is a fault with the printer as i might need to replace it with a printer that uses a different cartridge. 

What else can i try?
HP Recommended

Hi @Debbiebosh. I see that you were interacting with @A4Apollo but he is out of the office at the moment. 

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the very same issue with my 6520. The issue also started on 01 April 2019 and it seems to only impact the body of my document. The headers print fine in black. I tried a second cartridge but no luck. I have cleaned the printheads multiple times, completed multiple alignments and even tried using a different laptop. No luck.

Has anyone resolved your issue?

HP Recommended

No sadly not.  HP support was no help. Their support site is dreadful to work through and as they only have limited number of options to contact them about it seems I used the wrong standard heading which included 'instant ink'. But I'm not signed up to this so they've dropped me and told me to contact another department to see about a service. I'm out of warranty so I know from another forum that they won't help either. Shouldn't be so hard!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.