Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Enterprise MFP M577
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Previous person who installed the printer (left the company more than 2 years ago) set the admin password on our office printer. Now I am getting 2 error messages that are preventing printer to start.  We need to reset the Admin password on our M577 to allow factory reset. Please provide the procedure to accomplish the admin password reset.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Attached the printer panel display from where is asking administrator password for hard reset . Tried with zeros, ones, 12345, etc. no successWhatsApp Image 2023-06-12 at 22.45.23 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-06-12 at 22.45.23 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-06-12 at 22.45.23.jpeg

HP Recommended

Here attached the printer error messages. Restarted several times with no success

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-12 at 23.02.36.jpeg

HP Recommended

2nd error messageWhatsApp Image 2023-06-12 at 23.04.07.jpeg

HP Recommended

Can you access in preboot menu 3: Administrator -> Startup options -> Cold reset   if yes, select Cold reset, go back, and select 1: Continue.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. But as per my post title, I can't as we don't have the administrator password. I need to reset it

HP Recommended

Got to 4: Service Tools 

11057715 and then select  Reset password

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

The 49 and 98 errors suggest a hard disk partion or firmware corruption.  Selecting Administrator and performing a Partial Clean is suggested.  Then, upgrade firmware to current version.

HP Recommended

All options require password to move on. Other idea?

HP Recommended

Forgive me.  I was thinking about the EWS password not the control panel.   If all control panel options require a Password, I think the only option left is to install new hard drive and install firmware via aUSB stick.  Printer uses a SATA drive.  Replace drive, go to Pre-Boot menu, and select Download, USB Thumb Drive.  Any 500GB SATA drive should work.  Just format drive prior to install.  

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/ish_1633008-56916-16.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.