Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks.

I see the HP experts are online today.

Based upon the number and history of false jams on this printer, I'm wondering if there is any determination of falty sensors, further firmware upgrades, or other support history that suggests patterns and likely problems that cause this false jam issue.

Most of the standard jam clearing procedures don't fix my problem, but found some information some time ago (dont' recall where) that seems to work most of the time.  Remove paper in the input tray to the minimum... about 10-15 sheets and try printing again.  For some reason this seems to cause a different status in the printer, and it will usually clear the error.  I never overload the input tray, and it seems to happen most often with automatic duplex printing.  This resolution seems to suggest that detection of a different paper level updates some status relevant to the error.

HP Recommended

I bought the 8600 Plus on June 20, 2014; received my first "false paper jam" message yesterday (08/27) after loading Legal size paper and adjusting the paper tray accordingly - and No! I did not mix different size papers in the tray.

The Paper Jam message continued; I tried all the steps outlined in the fix it guide offered on the HP website (except those that stated: "press the right arrow, go to settings and print a test page". Why? Because the error message was the only thing on the display!

Then I saw all the posts about this same False Paper Jam message and decided to try one step mentioned by an HP user, i.e., load different amounts of paper into the tray. I did that and - what do you know? It began to work but the print cartridge then jammed itself way to the right and began making machine gun type noises so I just shut it down. And, yes! I used the power switch first then disconnected the power cord.

My printing use had been very light, there's still @ 85% of ink left in the original cartridges. There are no paper pieces stuck anywhere. There is no lint, dust, or other debris. The printer was never dropped or taken apart. it simply has a major series of flaws.

So, what's my next step? STAPLES doesn't want it back, and frankly, I don't want a replacement 8600 that has the same design flaws built into it as this one does. And, apparently, I am not alone...I also don't want to wait for a class action lawsuit to settle this all out 2 years or more from now for pennies on the dollar.

I would like to get my full purchase price back, and not have to pay for shipping & insurance to send it back to HP.

I must say I have had previous success being the owner of many different HP products, but this 8600 is same Lemon that the Edsel was to Ford (if this is unfamiliar to you, I'm sure you can look it up)

Paul Botticelli

HP Recommended

My prior conversations with HP support personnel indicated that the problem is with a faulty sensor in the printer. I tried all their 'solutions' for months until I almost gave up in disgust. Then I finally was able to get them to admit to the sensor problem.

HP Recommended

I have this same problem. I have gone through all of the procedures and cannot get it to go away. Can you please send to me as well?

EDITED: I went through the process online with HP Support and they determined it was a hardware issue. My printer was under warranty so they will be sending me a replacement printer.

HP Recommended
I am now having this issue also. I have searched for paper jams and reset the printer to no avail . Please help!
HP Recommended
K so if they admitted its a faulty sensor is there any way to return or exchange it for new non-faulty model??
HP Recommended
I am having the same problem and also feel like throwing the printer out the window! What's going on HP? What's with the private messages? I need answers please! It's an 8600plus all in one and the scanner/copy feed is causing the error message.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone.  I am having the same problem as most of you.  I had other "less" known name printers and never had any issues.  I used this printer for home, and homework purposes.  Which means, I am not an everyday user of it.  My warranty expired so obviously, I am out of luck.  If HP knows of a faulty sensor, you'd think that being a prestigious company, they would at least tell us which sensor and sell it to us.  (fixing sensor problems before selling faulty ones would be a plus).  I've tried ALL suggestions and back to square one.  Now a days with "facebook" it would be beneficial to let everyone know of problems that are not fixed on any product.

HP Recommended

Hello,

You might want to contact HP Home and Home Office  1-800-888-0229

I found them to be genuinely concerned about the satisfaction of their HP customers.

Won't hurt; could help....

Good luck,

Paul B

HP Recommended

Hello everyone.  Guess what!!!!!  joy to the world.  I followed the last option, removed paper tray and placed justa a few papers, and voila....  I guess the sensor that is faulty is on the paper tray...  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.