Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP OfficeJet 4650 printer suddenly stopped printing and is showing this error on the printer:

Service Station Stalled

Press the OK button to have the printer automatically attempt its recovery process.

After pressing "OK" the cartridges move back and forth and then stop and the error message is displayed again. There does not appear to be a way out of this loop. I have attempted re-starting the printer (both with the power button and unplugging it) and moving the cartridges around manually (there is no obstruction). The cartridges are HP and there is no paper jam.

Any further advice or assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DaveL6

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP OfficeJet 4650 printer shows service station stalled. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

When did this issue start?

Did you do any hardware or software changes?

How is the printer connected to computer, wired or wireless?

Meanwhile

Remove and reinstall the ink cartridges

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not on already.

2. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Figure : Opening the ink cartridge access door

Image: Opening the ink cartridge access door.
  3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you proceed.

4. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, then gently push the lid back until it stops.

5. Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Removing the ink cartridge

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the ink cartridge

6. Inspect the contacts for any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

CAUTION:

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

7. Remove the protective tape from the contacts, if necessary.

CAUTION:

Do not try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Figure : Removing the plastic tape

Image: Removing the plastic tape
  8. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot.

9. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

Figure : Inserting the ink cartridges

1. Insert the ink cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color ink cartridge is on the left, and the black ink cartridge is on the right

10. Repeat the previous steps to remove, inspect, and reseat the other ink cartridge, if necessary.

11. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Figure : Closing the ink cartridge access door.

Image: Closing the ink cartridge access door.

Try to print.

Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet

1. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from any power strips or surge suppressors.

3. Plug the power cord directly into an electrical outlet.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

5. Turn on the printer.

Reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Try to print.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@DaveL6

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP OfficeJet 4650 printer shows service station stalled. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

When did this issue start?

Did you do any hardware or software changes?

How is the printer connected to computer, wired or wireless?

Meanwhile

Remove and reinstall the ink cartridges

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not on already.

2. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Figure : Opening the ink cartridge access door

Image: Opening the ink cartridge access door.
  3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you proceed.

4. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, then gently push the lid back until it stops.

5. Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Removing the ink cartridge

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the ink cartridge

6. Inspect the contacts for any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

CAUTION:

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

7. Remove the protective tape from the contacts, if necessary.

CAUTION:

Do not try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Figure : Removing the plastic tape

Image: Removing the plastic tape
  8. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot.

9. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

Figure : Inserting the ink cartridges

1. Insert the ink cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color ink cartridge is on the left, and the black ink cartridge is on the right

10. Repeat the previous steps to remove, inspect, and reseat the other ink cartridge, if necessary.

11. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Figure : Closing the ink cartridge access door.

Image: Closing the ink cartridge access door.

Try to print.

Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet

1. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from any power strips or surge suppressors.

3. Plug the power cord directly into an electrical outlet.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

5. Turn on the printer.

Reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Try to print.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello thank you very much for the advice. I turned the printer back on to check it one more time and this time it said that an update was waiting to be installed; so I let the update proceed. After it rebooted and went through its calibration it started working again. If the problems re-occcur I will go through your steps but hopefully it will continue to work without problems.

thanks again,

dave

HP Recommended

@DaveL6

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It just started yesterday.  Made no changes n anything.  The printer did print, then when I was preparing a new word doc and tried to print - no go.  

HP Recommended

Condition continues.  Tried several times to resolve by a variety of "trouble shoots" but no change.  The message in the screen is the same - "Service Station Stalled".  Getting frustrated - Help?

HP Recommended

Did you try manually updating the software running on the printer? Go to setup --> printer update and try updating the software.

HP Recommended

Hi there.  I have the same problem.  All was fine until I did a recommended update this morning.  Now I can't print at all.  I tried all the advice on this thread.  Opened every possible place to look for paper jams, unplugged from printer and wall, removed & replaced ink cartridges, even checked for software updates.  Nothing is working.  Do you have any other ideas?

The only other stange thing I noticed is that when I lifted the lid to access the ink cartridges, I hear a noise - as if the arm on the right side is rubbing as it moves up with the lid.  Like the fit is too tight.  

The printer has not been moved or touched.  The only new thing that was done was the update.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I get the "Service Station Stalled" after I get a message which states "Improper Shutdown" every time I turn on the printer. I have tried all the steps recommended (unplugging the power cable from back of printer while the printer is on, plugging the printer directly into a wall recepticle, removing the ink cartridges, etc) but still get the same messages. Please help!

HP Recommended

Same issue for me completely out of the blue. I get the "Service Station Stalled" after I get a message which states "Improper Shutdown" every time I turn on the printer. I have tried all the steps recommended (unplugging the power cable from back of printer while the printer is on, plugging the printer directly into a wall recepticle, removing the ink cartridges, etc) but still get the same messages. 

I am glad that the issue was "solved" for the initial post but that solution does not work for me and it seems for many others. 

Please respond on how to resolve!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.