Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255 All-in-One Printer

I have had my printer for quite some time - changed the printer cartridge (black) - then the printer wouldn't print and it keeps saying "offline". I ran the Dr - it said that it wasn't included as part of a network and it might keep other add-ons from working - clicked "yes" and it made a change and rebooted. it prints a test page fine. Unplugged, plugged back in, rebooted - same problem. Any advice?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @kienna,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When your HP OfficeJet 5255 printer says "offline" and you've already tried basic troubleshooting steps like rebooting and running diagnostics, here are some additional steps you can take to resolve the issue:

1. Check Printer Connection

• Ensure that your printer is connected to the same network as your computer. Check the Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection settings on the printer.
  • Restart your wireless router to ensure there are no network issues causing the printer to appear offline.
  • On the printer’s control panel, navigate to the Wireless or Network settings.
  • Select your Wi-Fi network and enter the password to reconnect the printer to the network.

2. Set Printer Online (Windows)

• Press Windows Key + R, type "control printers", and press Enter.
  • Right-click on your HP OfficeJet 5255 printer and select "See what’s printing".
  • If there are any pending print jobs, cancel them to clear the print queue.
  • Right-click on the printer again and select "Use Printer Online" if it's currently offline.

3. Update Printer Driver:

• Go to the HP Support website, enter your printer model (OfficeJet 5255), and download the latest printer driver for your operating system (Windows).
  • Install the driver and follow the on-screen instructions. Restart your computer after installation.

4. Restart Print Spooler Service:

• Press Windows Key + R, type "services.msc", and press Enter.
  • Scroll down and locate "Print Spooler" in the Services window.
  • Right-click on "Print Spooler" and select "Restart". This clears the print queue and may resolve offline issues.

5. Reset Printing System (Mac):

• Go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
  • Right-click (or Control-click) on the printer list and select "Reset printing system".
  • Re-add your HP OfficeJet 5255 printer by clicking the "+" button and selecting it from the list.

6. Check Firewall and Security Software:

• Temporarily disable any firewall or security software on your computer that might be blocking the printer from connecting to the network.

7. Factory Reset (if necessary):

• As a last resort, you can perform a factory reset on your HP OfficeJet 5255 printer to restore it to its default settings.
  • Refer to the printer’s manual or HP Support website for instructions on how to perform a factory reset.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.