Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8740
macOS 10.14 Mojave

We cannot get this darned printer to print for anything. For months, it wouldn't even install the driver, and the only way to print was either to email a (small) file or put the files on a thumb drive. Now all of a sudden today the driver installs but I get Hold for Authentication and it won't print via USB or email. What gives? I think it's possessed by a DOS demon. 

Mac Mojave 10.14.6 (18G3020) on 2017 iMac via USB. Two drivers installed today for the first time in months: AirPrint and USB direct. But it also won't work on the other machines: three MacBook Air and two MBPro. 

Would a hard reset to original factory settings allow us to just start over? I can't even begin to trace the path of the stuff we've tried to do. It worked great in the beginning for several months.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@_smc_, Welcome to HP Support Community!

What is the error message for authentication that you get?

We definitely can help you with the factory reset on the printer but that only resets the hardware and driver issues cannot be rectified. I'd recommend you elaborate on the issue for further assistance. 

Also, if you could provide the screenshots for the same, it'd be great!

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did a partial reset today, deleted all HP software (or so I think) and started from the beginning. Installed via USB. Printer shows up in the Printers&Scanners Preferences pane. Appears to connect via the iPhone app. You can see it in the HP Smart app. Prints the first page with the magenta and black lines all over, and the serial number--printout looks great! Nothing wrong with the print quality. WILL NOT PRINT ANYTHING ELSE. It's not the hardware, it's something in the software. It used to print via USB or by sending an email. Then, all of sudden it stopped doing that a couple of weeks ago. Not getting the hold for authentication any more after today's attempts. Can print a file out of any application, goes into the print queue, then either evaporates from the queue or goes to the printer and gets stuck there forever. What do you mean by "driver issues cannot be rectified?" That seems like it shouldn't be possible. I mean, it's been a really long time since I did any programming, but please explain why the driver can't be rectified. I don't know what kind of screen shots would be helpful, can you tell me what to screenshot? I took a couple but don't know if that's what you would need.Screenshot 2020-07-29 20.45.31.pngScreenshot 2020-07-29 18.20.24.png2020_07_29_20_47_36_Page_1.jpg2020_07_29_20_47_36_Page_2.jpgScreenshot 2020-07-29 20.45.31.pngScreenshot 2020-07-29 20.58.10.png

HP Recommended

@_smc_

Thanks for replying!

Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP. Resetting the printing system can be useful for troubleshooting printing problems, but you need to add all of your printers and scanners back to the list when you are finished. 

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did not know about resetting the print system, good tip, thanks. However, it still didn't fix he problem. I did not have to add the printer back into the Printers & Scanners Preferences pane, though. It automatically appeared after the printer was turned back on. I sent a job to the queue, it stayed there for a few seconds, then just evaporated. There were no signs on the printer's display that the job reached the printer, the display did not change at all. Back when it worked, it would click and you could see that it was processing a print job.

It is no longer popping up the "hold for authentication".

And there are HP inks installed.

Screenshot 2020-08-05 13.59.30.png

HP Recommended

@_smc_

Will check on this and get back to you!

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.