Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 about 18 months ago.   For the last couple of months I've been using a couple of non-HP ink catridges and there's been no problem.  The printer did a firmware update for the first time last night updating to the latest firmware.   Conincidentally, the Cyan and Yellow ink catridges ran out immediately after the update and I replaced them with two non-HP branded catridges.  Since the firmware update,  I have been getting the following error message:  "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged".  

I have researched online and I understand that this is a result of the recent firmware having a dynamic security feature; and the HP article (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05308850) states that the newest version of the firmware will allow this feature to be turned off.  However, the same article states in respect of the  HP OfficeJet Pro 6970: " this update disables dynamic security for printers manufactured before December 1, 2016. For printers manufactured on December 1, 2016 or later, dynamic security remains functional with this update."

Given I only bought the printer in 2017, I assume that it is a post December 1, 2016 model.

Is there anyway to rollback the firmware so I can use the printer with non-HP catridges?  Alternatively as there anything else that can be done?

I think this is pretty unreasonable behaviour by HP to include a feature which disables third party catridges to be used (in particular after the warranty period) - especially as there was no warning of this before the firmware installed!  It is also unreasonable that there is no readily available solution for post December 1, 2016 models of this printer.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@will1281,

Thank you for posting this on HP Support Forums!

I see from your post you need information and assistance related to using non-HP Ink cartridges on your HP OfficeJet 6970 printer. 

You would like to know if there is an option to rollback the firmware. Unfortunately the option which you are looking is not available. 

Hence you will not be able to rollback the firmware to previous version. 

Here's the latest firmware details of your printer: Click here

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I note you have replied to say there is no way for to rollback the firmware to previous version.   If you have read my post in full, you will understand that the actual question is whether there is now any way to use third party non-HP ink cartridges with the printer?

Your latest firmware stops me from using third party non-HP ink cartridges with the printer.  Please confirm if there is a fix for this?

HP Recommended

@will1281,

According to the latest update, Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. 

Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016 dynamic security will not be enabled by this firmware. Please note that HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I note your reply.  As per my original post, I bought my printer in 2017 - and therefore its safe to assume it was manufactured post December 1, 2016.  According  to your reply dynamic security cannot be switched off with the current firmware.  I repeat my question for the third time:

Is there is now any way to use third party non-HP ink cartridges with the printer?

I would appreciate it if you stop quoting from the information that I am already aware of from your website and give me a direct answer.   Does your new firmware stop me now from using third party non-HP ink cartridges with the printer?  Is there any solution to this other than buying HP cartridges ?

If the answer is no, then please confirm that this is the only available solution without trying to dodge the question; and I will consider buying HP cartridges as it seems to be the only way to resolve this issue.

HP Recommended

@will1281,

According to the support document, your printer is listed and there is a firmware update which should help in disables dynamic security after which it should work. 

If the non-hp ink cartridges don't work, then it could be an issue with the cartridges and you might have to replace it. 

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_Singh 

I refer to the text in your support document which states as follows in respect of the  HP OfficeJet Pro 6970: " this update disables dynamic security for printers manufactured before December 1, 2016. For printers manufactured on December 1, 2016 or later, dynamic security remains functional with this update."

I already pointed this out in my original post.  Also as per my original post, there is no issue with the ink cartridges - I was printing without any problems immediately before the firmware update and the problem highlighted in your support document only occured after the firmware update.

My understanding from your collective email replies and the support document is that there is no solution for HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 maunfactured after December 1, 2016.

You seem to be consistently and repeatedly ignoring my question.   The implication is that you either do not understand the question or you are intentionally side-stepping the question.  

I now repeat my question for the fourth time:

Is there is now any way to use third party non-HP ink cartridges with the printer?

I repeat now for the second time: I would appreciate it if you stop quoting from the information that I am already aware of from your website and give me a direct answer.   If the answer is no, then I would be grateful if you could simply say so and we can both stop wasting our time on this line of questioning, and I can focus on getting my printer working again.

I do however wish to state for the record that I feel that it is unreasonable for HP to be rolling out any firmware which prevents its printers from being able to use third party non-HP ink catridges.

HP Recommended

@will1281,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_Singh 

Thank you for your response.  Your colleague has sent me a private message.  However, their reply is the same as your earlier reply - it simply refers me to the support document.  It does not answer my question and does not offer a solution.   It looks like both you and your colleague either do not understand the question or are unwilling to give an answer.

For transparency, all I am trying to understand is whether for the HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 manufactured after December 1, 2016 - there is now any way to use third party non-HP ink cartridges with the printer?

Including the reply to your colleague this is now the sixth time I have asked this question.

I repeat again: I would appreciate it if your team would stop quoting from yoru support document which I have already read (and repeatedly told you I have already read)  and give me a direct answer to my question.  If the answer is no, then I would be grateful if you could simply say so and we can all stop wasting our time on this line of questioning, and I can focus on getting my printer working again or buying a replacement.

HP Recommended

Sounds like you went through an aggravating experience. Now that it's my turn, did you manage to get an answer to  your question? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.