Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the last product software upgrade the printer will blue screen with the code B80FBFCE with the power sign.  Sometimes not even pushing the button will help, you have to unplug the thing.  Not sure what's going on, I have run some searches on the internet, but they turned up nothing.Hex Blue Screen Code - Its Not DEADBEEFHex Blue Screen Code - Its Not DEADBEEFHP Model TypeHP Model Type

HPOfficeJet7740_Einstellungen.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @doktoroblivion

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'm afraid this is a hardware issue with the printer.

The steps that can be tried to resolve this issue are as below:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Check for any paper jams or foreign objects inside the printer and make sure the print carriage is moving freely.

Perform step 1 mentioned in this document.

If the issue persists, leave the printer unplugged overnight and try to power it ON again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Here some additional details
HPOfficeJet7740_Einstellungen.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @doktoroblivion

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'm afraid this is a hardware issue with the printer.

The steps that can be tried to resolve this issue are as below:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Check for any paper jams or foreign objects inside the printer and make sure the print carriage is moving freely.

Perform step 1 mentioned in this document.

If the issue persists, leave the printer unplugged overnight and try to power it ON again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am exceedingly frustrated by HP’s responses to the “Blue Screen” that indicates that the HP7740 isn’t going to work. All of the owners with this problem have followed all the suggestions about hard-resets, disconnecting, removing and replacing all the software and yet the “Blue Screen” doesn’t go away.

While I am not a computer programmer by profession I do understand that the “Blue Screen” doesn’t just appear – somewhere in the code there is an instruction that makes the “Blue Screen” appear when a particular condition or set of conditions happen. Have any of the “HP Employees” asked the coding department about what causes the “Blue Screen”? My guess is that somebody in coding knows exactly what the “Blue Screen” means and how it can be fixed/resolved. Yet, so far, the only responses have been the same handful of trial-and-error steps recommended to all computer users for all problems.

Lastly, my HP7740 will be out of warantee in a month and, with the Covid-19 problem, I will have to either extend the warantee an hope for a real solution (that will probably cost me both money and time) or purchase another large-format 4-in-1 device with the hopes that the new one will work.

This  is my second HP7740 as the first one, after about four years of service ceased to function do to design-intended mechanical faults of both clogged ink lines and jets and the mechanical parts of the scanner (motors and gears) which finally wore out. The final insult is that a new HP7740 is now priced at twice what I paid for this one and I have to wonder if a new one will still contain the as-yet unanswered “Blue Screen” problem.

I, and my fellow, users deserve better from HP Employees than the same-old suggestions that have proven to never solve the problem and clearly nobody has bothered to ask the programmers what in the code causes the “Blue Screen” top appear in the first place.  We need a root-cause solution.

HP Recommended

@Teamwells

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Your solution helped but the bluescreen returns after a few days so have to proceed the solution 2 times a week for 3 weeks now...

HP Recommended

Bjorn, et al.,

I have come to the conclusion that whatever the underlying cause, this problem will not be resolved by anything less than a new machine. My experience tells me that it is probably not a code problem but an electro-mechanical issue that, once it surfaces, will continue to cause the blue screens until it absolutely fails. Since these machines are not designed to be repaired in the traditional sense replacement is the only logical argument. 

The blue screens are being driven by this intermittent failure and the display of the serial number should link back to a specific error code. Yet, there is no documentation of the source. Therefore, we are left to guess while going through a list of actions that do not resolve the underlying problem. 

It is my sad conclusion that this is a non-repairable electo-mechanical issue so I am replacing the 7740 with a different machine designed for higher volume scanning and with a proven track-record for reliability. 

HP Recommended

For everyone's information, the procedure only prolongs your use of the printer by about a week or so.  It will have to be replaced, unfortunately.  😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.