Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Just returned from a few hours away from my desk to find all lights on printer flashing and "B83B6FDC" displayed.

I turned the printer off and then on again, and it at least started correctly and seems okay at the moment.

What does this code mean?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @KinNC,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are getting "0X" error message on your HP Envy printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

Have you tried to perform a Hard reset bypassing a surge protector?

Have you tried to update the printer firmware?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software related issues. Please use this link to help you with that information: http://hp.care/2biN2XE 

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update available for your printer, using this link:  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj8730/OJ8730_8740_R1726D.exe

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - 'Ink System Failure' or '0x ...' Error Code Displays

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Anticipating a generic response, rather than anyone directly addressing the problem I stated, I had already performed all these steps (including the ones that are patently irrelevant).

What I requested (and which request was ignored) was an explanation of the meaning of Code B83B6FGC.

So let me repeat that request: Someone at HP surely has a listing of all error codes. Can that someone, please, let me know what the code means so that I can anticipate future recurrence?

And, one more time: WHAT IS THE MEANING OF CODE B83B6FDC?????

HP Recommended

Greetings @KinNC, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply. 

The issue you are facing could be a hardware issue with the printer.

If the issue persists after performing a hard reset on the printer by following the procedure mentioned in the article

Request you contact our phone support team to check the service options available for your printer. 

I do not have any information on what caused the issue or to decode the error. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Why can't I get a simple answer to my simple question, about the definition of an error code?

Again, something happened that caused my printer's firmware or software to display the code B83B6FDC. I strongly doubt that string of letters and numbers was a random display. I strongly suspect that somewhere within the bowels of HP technical appartus is a listing of all event and errors codes. If the latter is true, why can't someone from HP confirm my supposition and inform me what the code represents? Or if, in fact, the generation of the string of letters and numbers was truly a random event, why cannot someone who knows whereof [s]he speaks inform me of that?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

B83B6FDC error on OfficeJet Pro 8740

I also received this error message on the screen of a new OfficeJet Pro 8740 on 26 NOV 2017, together with all lights rapidly flashing on and off - power light plus all lights on the LED display. This is a new printer that I purchased a month ago, connected to my home network using a Cat 6 ethernet cable. The printer has been powered off for about a month since I installed it until I switched it on on the 26th, intending to complete the installation of the software.

Please tell me what this error code means. 

My concern is that a new printer which I haven't even used yet is displaying an error message and I need to know whether I should return it to staples for a replacement.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

IvyGuy:

Good luck getting identification of the code from anybody at HP.

The code obviously means something, but I had no luck getting a definition. It's not clear why HP can't answer our simple question, but apparently no one there will do so.

HP Recommended

I've had this error message reappear three times since my original (and futile) request to HP for information on the meaning of the code.

Common sense dictates these characters are not generated at random, but indicate some error or diagnostic code. And someone at HP undoubtedly has a list of this and similar codes. But HP, for unexplained reasons, is unwilling to share this information with its customers, so we are left uncertain about whether our printers are about to die, or whether the problem is a minor (though annoying) problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @KinNC,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you keep getting this error message on your printer screen. The Ink System Failure error message might display with an alphanumeric code, or the alphanumeric code might display by itself. Some errors begin with ‘0x…’, while others begin with a ‘B’ or ‘C,’ and they are usually preceded by the word Error. The exact text of the error messages varies by printer.

This could be due to several reasons, one such can be due to power failure, it could be due to scanning issue, carriage jam and so on, it's difficult to explain. Basically it looks like a hardware issue on the printer. 

You could try to perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to check for the latest firmware on the printer, If available.

If you have tried the steps as well as the one mentioned in the support document and still having the issue. I would personally suggest this could be a printer hardware. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.