Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi folks

I'm trying to follow up on this, so as soon as I have anything I'll keep you posted...

Kind Regards

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

i am having similar problem not on and off but the touchpad thing  i also noticed that my touchpad would touch if my finger was just only close to it. could be static electricity from something doing it   but to be this widespread it would have to be a natural phenomena

HP Recommended

bah i just think it was a flawed design and hp needs to recall them or replace the touchscrenns on all complainants printers i cant afford to buy a new one just because the messed up

HP Recommended

Try this as it worked for me when i narrowed down my troubleshooting and it could maybe be the answer to your problem . I had the same problem with my Photosmart D5163 and after investigating and following up see "http.fixya.com/support/t5821942-hp_photosmart_c6180_continually_powers"  my problem was solved. Check the capacitors on the control board as this seems a common problem with HP PCB's causing the switching off and on of its own accord. By the way i'm running Windows 7 Ultmate with the latest printer driver updates.

Cheers Keith

HP Recommended

Capacators? Is this really something that the user can check without voiding the warranty? I agree that this is a flawed design and that HP should take responsibility

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. The printer constantly powers on and off, then cycles through all of the options (copy, scan, memory card print, etc.)

I've had this printer since July 2009 with no problems. This just started happening a couple of weeks ago.

HP Recommended

Just did the repair. It was a bad capacitor on the logic board (brand TEAPO). There is only one to replace on this printer, and it will probably look curved on the top (indicating it is blown).  It's 330uF 6.3V, but I pu in a slightly bigger one (16V, all they had in 330uF) and it works perfect now. It's an easy fix, if you're not afraid to solder one component. It will cost you all of 60c worth of components. (and a soldering kit if you don't already have one)

Open the scanner lid and the ink replacement door. Reach behind the control panel and gently push a clip to release the panel. It will reveal a hidden torx screw. There are four screws total to remove the top, and you can use a torx bit, or if none handy, the right size allen key. 

Once you get the top part lifted from the rest of the printer, you must carefully pull out the few connectors that attach to the logic board from their sockets. Some are just ribbon connectors, and some wire connectors. Put the top part aside. 

Identify the bad capacitor on the logic board by checking the top surface. It's a thin one, green in color that says TEAPO on it and if it is indeed the defective component it should feel curved on the top. 

Remove all the other connectors to the board, and unscrew the 3 torx screws to extract the board from the printer. 

To unsolder the bad capacitor, it may be easier to first snap it off so you can extract each lead with pliers one at a time while applying heat on the soldering side. 

Observe the polarity, negative side (identified by the minus signs on the new capacitor) on the shaded side on the board. 

Solder the new capacitor, clip off excess leads, put everything back together. Your'e done!   Good luck!

HP Recommended

Well looks like I will either buy a new printer or pay big bucks to have it fixed. Thanks for the fix!

HP Recommended

So tell me this really works because I am going to attempt this exorcism.  Our relatively new printer is possested and I must rid the demons!  It turns on by itself, scans, makes copies, prints without touch anything!

HP Recommended

You are a GENIUS!.  I just completed the repair and it took no time at all to fix it.  The 330uf 6.3v capacitor cost $.59 at repairworld.com and I plugged it in and it works great!  I don't know how to thank you as I was going to toss it in the garbage!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.