Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP office jet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago, I received the error:

Cartridge problem

Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed.

This was after replacing the four spent cartridges, and the error screen indicated all four cartridges had errors.

I followed the trouble shooting steps in other posts here to no avail.

I ordered new cartridges, and installed those, same error. 

I reinstalled the old cartridges, no error.

I replaced them one at a time, and each replacement cartridge triggered the same error (with two different new cartridges per color).

My warranty expired six days ago, two days later this problem happened.

I read on this website zendesk article , that HP does background firmware updates, unless turned off in settings. The most recent firmware was released a week before the problem happened.

There is no way I found to reverse the firmware update to be sure, but it sure seems funny that the printer died right after the firmware was updated by HP.

Now I have two sets of new cartridges that I can not use unless I buy another HP printer like the one I had.

I am not a believer in coincidences, but I feel uneasy about buying another similar HP printer that may have the same issue caused by HP just out of warranty!

Hopefully an HP tech can chime in here and let me know how to revert the firmware to the previous version so I can use my printer again.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @brianzz,

I'd like to help!

This is Dynamic security enabled printer. The Firmware Update may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working.

Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016, dynamic security will not be enabled by the firmware. Please note that HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges.

You may refer to this document -  HP Printers - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

So I was correct in the fact that your firmware update effectively turned off my printer less than a week out of warranty because I do not use HP ink

I think that is a pretty underhanded way to operate. 

can I pay you to revert my firmware so my printer will work again?

HP Recommended

We can perform a factory defaults on the printer to resolve the issue

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here.  This started after 10/16/2020 firmware update to MCP2CN2042CR.  I have not been able to find a work-around.  I have been trying to find a copy of the previous firmware version but no luck with HP...my 6978 printer's been out of warranty for two years.

I've also got another issue that I believe is associated with the latest firmware update.   My printer now just displays all four cartridges with the error message: "one of more cartridges are missing or may be defective".  It no longer identifies which cartridge(s) is/are the problem child.  How convenient for HP.  A new way to dodge the "compatibility issue with non-HP consumables".  And to add insult to injury, I'm having problems finding HP 902 cartridges!

HP Recommended

I have the same cartridge problem, did a Facebook chat w HP support, they take many hours to reply each time and now the chat has gone dark. Seems they were going to send me a replacement. I think there is some sort of bug with this printer. I am SOOOO frustrated. I have a household of people all needing to print and TERRIBLY slow HP support. The only reason i bought this printer is i had sop much ink from my last printer (I unfortunately signed up for some print club) that the ink was worth more than the printer. Have never had issues w HP before, i hope they can redeem themselves.

HP Recommended

using official HP ink

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.