Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To try to solve problems I was having, I uninstall and reinstall the software for my OJ3830.  Now I cannot get any connection between the computer and the device.   I'm thinking there is still some old files that are causing the problem.  Is there a utility that I can use to clear up this problem?  If not what can I do to fix the problem?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@David223 

Remove Printer and Reload Printer Software

Hints

• Read through the procedure, then proceed with the steps.
  • For best results, do not ignore the suggested Restarts
  • Procedure includes “extra” clear and clean steps for the purpose training and to help “troubled” software installations. Extra sections are marked with an asterisk pair “**” front and back.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software

Uninstall existing printer software from Programs and Features.

Method One - Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Method Two - Settings > Apps > Apps and Features >

Search or Scroll down

Uninstall the printer software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If printer software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

** Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager **

Check / Verify:  If the printer is still lurking in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

** Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers **

Check / Verify:  If the printer drivers are still lurking in Devices and Printers, remove driver(s) related to the printer.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

Clicking on a printer, displays options along the ribbon (near the top of the Devices and Printers window)

Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Click on Driver(s) in list, select Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

** Printer Software – Lurking in the User Account **

Check / Verify:  Printer related files and folders are stored in the User AppData hierarchy.  If you have had trouble getting the printer to work, complete this step to delete files from the Temp folder.

Method One - Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp

OR Method Two Windows key + X + R (Run command) > type %temp%

Delete the files in the Temp folder (It is expected that some files cannot be deleted, ignore these)

Printer Software - Installation

NOTES

• If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.
  • Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).
  • Some (newer) printer models provide an "Easy Start" install method - If available, Easy Start will be found in the Software and Drivers website support page > Category Software 

Standard - Manual Installation of the Printer Software

Download-Save-Install the Full Feature Software for your Operating System version

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

** Optional - Video help **

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

** Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer” **

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open the printer Website Support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

** Optional - For Windows 10 Users – Compatibility Mode **

If you have been having trouble getting the printer software to fully install (Printer Assistant is functional and Scanning works), consider using Compatibility.  Note that this method only fixes “one type” of difficulty; installing this way may – or may not – make the necessary difference.

Right-Click on the downloaded installation file > Properties > Compatibility 

Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

Select Windows 7

Click Apply and OK to close the Properties menu

Right-Click on the installation file and select to Run as Administrator

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I did not attempt to follow these steps to do a clean uninstall.  The reason I was uninstalling the software is because the “Scan” from the touch screen does not work.  I was told in a different posting that I had software issue.  Once I had uninstalled and re-installed the software, the printer/scanner would not connect to my computer.  Since using the touch screen is not necessary for and I had created a restore point before doing the uninstall, I restored my computer.  Now all is working—except the “Scan” from the touch screen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.