Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3637
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

How do I stop the printer from printing out the test page every time I turn it on. It is a waste of paper and ink.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@windy4

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

What is the content on the test page, is it an alignment page?

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Could you post or attach a picture of the test page.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Senan6806 and thank you for your reply. I'm getting both alignment and print quality pages. The print quality page is a series of blue and black bars varying in size and shape, the alignment page is a series of black only bars the same sizes and shapes as the print quality. When I follow instructions and scan them it prints out the same page again and then again when I turn on the printer to either scan or print. I'm connected USB. Please tell me how to shut this sorcerer's apprentice off.

Thanks,

Ron

PS- I'd post a pic but then I'd have to go through the same process that I want to turn off.

HP Recommended

@windy4

Thanks! Power resetting the printer and then performing an automated cleaning and aligning may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

Please ensure the printer is up-to-date with its firmware. If you are unsure, you can download and install the latest firmware update from here.

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) On your Mac, click the Apple icon ().

7) Click System Preferences.

😎 Click Print & Fax or Print & Scan.

9) Click the name of your printer, and then click Open Print Queue.

10) Click Printer Setup or Settings, click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.

11) Click Clean Printheads.

12) Click Align. The printer will print an alignment page.

13) Lift the scanner lid.

14) Place the alignment page with the print side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.

Image: Place the alignment page on the scanner glass

15) Close the scanner lid.

16) Press the Start Copy Black button  or the Start Copy Color button  on the printer control panel. The printer aligns the ink cartridges.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.